• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Switching To Mac

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Just_Sam

Gangsta On The Prowl
Hey, as the title suggests I am switching to Mac from Windows.

Too many problems with Microsoft has caused me to hate them. I am getting a "Blackbook" since it's all I need at the moment.

Anyway, I was wondering if there would be anything I should know about Mac before I get it. Any ticks of the trade etc.

Anything is cool.

Pikemann_Urge

I think there is a site dedicated to this but I can't remember where I saw the URL. Anyway, I've been wanting a Mac for ages but I decided to wait until I was ready to upgrade my computer - no point in buying a new computer so soon after the old one. I'm playing with an old G4 tower for the moment.

Anyway, get a list of all your useful Windows apps and try to find equivalents for the most important ones for OS X before getting the new Mac. Some will be easy (e.g. word processor) but some won't.

If your budget is high enough, buy an iMac that has a decent GPU (the mini and base iMac has an integrated Intel chip which really isn't up to modern games). Apple is tipped to update the consumer models soon with a much better Intel GPU so we'll see.

For creative work (e.g. home videos, making DVDs) the Mac has the nicest tools. Of course if you have a budget someone will have a video editing tool for you but even the basic stuff that comes with every Mac is good.

Sparkee

The only downfall I have with my iBook is I have not found a real good Canadian tax software that works on the Mac. I do find myself using my WinXp machine less and less every day. I am eye balling the MacBook for my next Mac and hope they increase the screen size to 15" before I need one.

Get the biggest hard drive you can afford as well as much RAM as you can put in it. The MacBooks do let you upgrade both of them fairly easily so you can wait and upgrade with third party memory. At least go for 2Gb of Ram and I would get Parallels plus a copy of WinXP just for when you need it. You can still use Boot Camp to dual boot, but Parallels will let you run XP and OS x at the same time.

The MacBooks do not have a Modem so I would get the optional external Apple USB Modem if you travel at all. It will be handy if you need it, I still use dial up quite a bit when I'm traveling.

You will also want the appropriate video adapter if you wish to connect to a TV or external monitor. The MacBooks have a mini-DVI connector and Apple sells adapters for Composite and S-video, VGA and DVI. My iBook came with the Composite and S-video but the MacBook doesn't, it's handy if you want to watch a movie on a TV. I got the extra VGA adapter to connect to my 19" LED monitor to run a dual screen setup. Get the DVI adapter if your monitor accepts it for better video.

Just like the iPod, get a good neoprene or foam padded case to protect your investment. There is lots of good third party custom cases that have a good fit. They also work as additional protection in a back pack or laptop bag.

Last edited:

zapod

Gadgeteer
If it's any comfort, I'm writing this on my 2001 iBook... the thing just keeps going and going... :)

Anyway, you'll love your Macbook. As for tips - for me the single most useful feature is instant wake from sleep. You'll rarely have to 'power off' - just close the screen over when you're done. Next time you go to use it, you'll be where you left off. Obvious - but in all the years of ownership, I don't think my iBook has hung once coming out of sleep. It's very reliable.

Oh and forget about installing anti spyware or antivirus software. Waste of time.

For free software, have a look here.

Enjoy!

Just_Sam

Gangsta On The Prowl
Thanks guys, I think I will look into getting more RAM and as big a hard drive as I can afford. Thanks alot.
Especially thanks for that site, saves me a lot of time searching :D

S2_Mac

Get the extra RAM installed by Apple (built-to-order). One of Apple's quirks is to require that third-party RAM be removed for Apple-assisted troubleshooting, which can be a PITA. Having Apple-supplied RAM is like being able to cut in line if you ever need Apple servicing. (And, Apple's RAM really is good stuff; Macs tend to use every bit -- he he -- of the RAM specs, and Apple's suppliers crank out quality chips. Even if it costs a bit more -- doesn't always -- the low aggravation and high reliability make it worthwhile.)

S2

Just_Sam

Gangsta On The Prowl
Thanks for the tip, I thought 1Gb RAM would be fine since I been going on 512mb and it's ok for me but if it's not...

I am getting mine from my local reseller so I can only get 1Gb RAM, but I might go buy more later.

kyussmondo

You will love your MacBook. One very useful forum is http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/

You will find everything you need there and the Switcher's Hangout is particularly useful for newbies to the Mac.

1GB of RAM is fine for me just running Adium (an IM app), iTunes, Safari and Microsoft Word (you can't escape Microsoft). If you need to do more than that or do graphics or something then go up to 2GB, if not then it isn't really worth it.

You will be amazed by how quickly you will be up and running straight out of the box. Good luck with your MacBook.

JMG

asdf
LukeA said:
I haven't used any Microsoft product for over a year.
you must not be working

anyway to answer the OP's post, the only real problem I have with macs is when they crash/slow down to a crawl when you try and view a directory with more than a few hundred items in them. I have no problems when viewing a folder with 25 thousand files in them on an Avid Adrenalin system (Windows Based), but opening the same directory in OS9 or OSX will either crash or cripple the system.

Last edited:

kyussmondo

JMG said:
you must not be working

anyway to answer the OP's post, the only real problem I have with macs is when they crash/slow down to a crawl when you try and view a directory with more than a few hundred items in them. I have no problems when viewing a folder with 25 thousand files in them on an Avid Adrenalin system (Windows Based), but opening the same directory in OS9 or OSX will either crash or cripple the system.
The average user doesn't really need to view folders with 25,000 files in them :p . Mac OS X Tiger is quite capable of handling everything Windows can handle and more. For home users and students the Mac is great and it will fit right in with your Windows computers.

However, if you are a business user who heavily depends on Microsoft for things such as Exchange and EMail etc then the Mac is not too great. Entourage, which is a Microsoft program is the best way of working with Windows machines running Outlook. The Mac is great for business use as well assuming the organisation you work for doesn't live and die by the Microsoft way of doing things.

SuperNYK992

Website
ns-92.blogspot.com
slashjunior said:
The average user doesn't really need to view folders with 25,000 files in them :p . Mac OS X Tiger is quite capable of handling everything Windows can handle and more. For home users and students the Mac is great and it will fit right in with your Windows computers.

However, if you are a business user who heavily depends on Microsoft for things such as Exchange and EMail etc then the Mac is not too great. Entourage, which is a Microsoft program is the best way of working with Windows machines running Outlook. The Mac is great for business use as well assuming the organisation you work for doesn't live and die by the Microsoft way of doing things.

actually there is Enterouge and Outlook. for mac. You dont need windows to work in a windows enviornment, period.

-Word
-Exel
-PowerPoint
-Entourage
-Outlook(which is somewhat outdated; you need to use classic enviornment; nonetheless it doesnt really matter what mail client you use)
-Windows Media Player

and in a last case resort you can actually run windows on mac using boot camp or paralells

toothpaste

JMG said:
you must not be working

Really? What kind of files? Is it possible for you to give me remote read only access to this directory as I am curious beyond explanation. My music folder is bigger than 25k, so what are you looking at?

As for the OP's, windows systems slow to a crawl as well with use over time. Make sure that you are able to hook your machine up to a school network if you are going to school, plus any software you might need to do school/work.

And enjoy the virus free computing.