Switching from E2 to EX71?!? Crazy, but true...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Tekron

keepin'downtheunderground
Well after a day of use and testing, I came to the conclusion that the Shure E2 headphones were not for me. Now don't get me wrong, the sound quality from these things is gorgeous and the isolation is magnificant, the design of these things just didn't work for me.

I like the in ear type with the isolation, I just didn't like the idea of it wrapping around the ear and such because I was constantly taking them out for things. I don't really need these for extreme sports/activities, more just walking around with my iPod is what I do and I don't need 80$ headphones for that. Another thing that I didn't like was the abnormally large "joiner" that joined together the two wires at the chest area, looked doofy to me. Another criticism is the length of the wire. I would have these headphones hooked up to a wire in my pocket and the amount of slack left over looked rediculous. Lastly, comfortability was another issue, but that wasn't too big of a problem.

Now don't get me wrong, these are one GREAT sounding pair of headphones, I guess they just weren't working for my taste. I do reccomend these to people looking for a great pair of headphones for highly active activities, but not exactly just for your everyday listening (i.e. - going out and wearing them around the mall or something, you can barely hear ANYTHING!). But hey that's just me, so don't exactly go 100% by my oppinion.

On the other hand, I was thinkin about switching over to the SONY MDR-EX71's in black. Now I know most of you dread these headphones, but are they really all that bad? I mean, does the sound quality even come close to the E2's? Are they good for all-around use? Are they really as muddy and bassy as people say they are? Overall, are they a good buy?

The only thing really preventing me from buying these are the user reviews I've read from boards about these. They caused me to back off and think that these were a total rip off.

Input about the EX71's would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have a pair. I'd like to know what you think about them.

Thanks!

penbat

The EX71s give me very shrill and annoying treble for me. They are also a bit less sensitive than the Apples. I actually found the Apples to be quite good. I am now using Shure E2s, take a bit of getting used to, still a bit shrill on the treble side but the best of the 3.

loki102

the EX71's do have a somewhat annoying treble but i found that i don't need to play them as loud as they have great isolation so that reduced the treble for me a bit

psxguy85

I will have to agree with the isolation part of his argument. Sometimes you just don't want isolation, because you want to hear your surroundings. I'm thinking of getting Grado SR-60's or 80's or some Eggo D66's for that purpose of more open-ness. There is no way I'm wearing CD3000's outside.

thedodgyguy

Declined Lounger
If you want to hear the outside, try the Sennheiser PXC250 noise cancelling headphones. They eliminate low frequency noises outside, but you can still hear things like loud announcements. It's a very interesting experience and the sound is good too. And the iPod powers the 300 ohm phones fine.

lsutiger

I like my EX71s. They sounded a little shrill at first, but I think they need time to break in. After a few days I've found it less harsh. Maybe I'm just going deaf.

nekura

I like my EX71SLs. They're comfortable, and the isolation has been very useful to me. In fact, I often wear them in restaurants and such (sans music), in order to save me from having to overhear everyone and their mothers' conversations.

Last edited:

Tekron

Just came back with a pair of EX71's from Circuit City. I got them in black. My only concern is the short cord and silver jewel on the wire that sticks out like a sore thumb. Oh well, I guess I will just have to live with it. Later.

scarf

if comes with an extension cord incase ur not using the remote

Tekron

Yeah, but the extension makes it too long and without the extension it's way too short. Oh well, I guess I'll just sport the remote or something.

Edit: I'm sure you can go to Best Buy and get some wire extenders or something. They must come in all sizes, short and long. I know so because I have one already for my computer headset.

inkblot78

I just got some EX71's, and so far they're great. I got them for use at the gym, but I ran into a problem. Because they have that funky cord config they meet on one the left side of my head, and bounce around when I run, shich bugs. This, mixed with the cord thats either too short or too long....I dunno. Does the cord config bother anyone else?

Gunner

Yes I have the EX71s and the E2s both. the cord arrangement on the E2s is much better for activity, whether it's mowing the lawn or running. That's cuz on the E2 the cord is much stiffer and thicker and stays where you put it. Also the E2 cord meets behind your head with a fastener and so it's not really free to fly around like the little whispy cord on the Sonys.

ZoidbergD

My white EX71's are pretty good. They sound pretty decent now, but at first I thought it was just horrible. Maybe they DID need time to break in. The isolation is great, I don't have really any gripes about them...