Suggestions on IPod not being recognized

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
Using:
OS - Windows 2000 Server
Unit - IPod 2nd Gen 20 gig (but I also sync with my 3rd gen 15 gig on the same machine) *problem is exact with both Pod's*
Syncing using Belkin firewire card purchased from Best Buy.
Ephpod version 2.70a

If I reboot the machine with the IPod plugged in the IPod is immediately recognized. I launch Ephpod, it sees I: (the IPod) as a removable drive, it builds the database structure and I am in business syncing.
Once complete I exit Ephpod, save changes, un-mount the IPod using the IPod manager and unplug.
Without rebooting if I go to plug the same IPod back in the machine recognizes the drive as I: once more and as a removable drive. I launch Ephpod and I chose I: as the drive, it asks to Build IPod Directory structure (even though it should already be built since I just synced no?) but get the message that IPod_control cannot be created. If I go to windows explorer and click on I: it says the drive is inaccessible and has been moved or removed.

If I reboot the IPod is recognized immediately and we are good to go.
I removed the MMJB plug-in which was installed as well as Music Match itself and the IPod Manager in the hopes this was the problem. (Previously I mounted and un-mounted the IPod using the manager but am now using Win2K's built in Hardware management. Unfortunately this did not correct the issue. So right now all that?s installed is the IPod software updater for version 1.3 (2nd gen) and 2.0.1 (3rd gen) and Ephpod itself. But still no go.

Not a major problem, I know, as I can always reboot but being that its my server and not a main machine and holds much more data than just my MP3's that my other machines are constantly accessing it gets to be annoying. Any suggestions, tips, hints, would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
Just as a follow up I should mention that since removing IPod manager I have had to use the Win2K Hardware management to "un-mount" the IPod. I have attempted t do so by clicking the "Unplug or Eject Hardware" arrow in the taskbar. When that window opens Apple Computer_Inc. iPod IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device is showing. When I highlight that and click Stop another window pops opens that displays the devices that need to be confirmed to be stopped. There are two displayed in this window, the Apple Computer_Inc. iPod IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device and Generic Volume - (I:). Highlighting either of these two and clicking Ok brings me back to the main Unplug or Eject Hardware window.

Essentially nothing happens past this point and for me to get the Ok to Disconnect message on the IPod I hav to go into the properties of the device from within System in the Control Panel and "disable the device". This tends to leave the I: drive mapped to the "removable device" which is the IPod that is no loner connected. I believe this is at the heart of the issue because since the I: drive is not disconnecting when I plug the IPod back in it puts itself on I but is not accessible.

Does anyone have any ideas on what causes this behavior or how I can correct it?

ashawley

Website
www.
Try this little trick and see if it changes anything. Win2k handles things differently than say XP, and I've seen these problems w/2K from time to time.

Right click the iPod drive and select Properties. I belive it's on the Hardware tab that there's an "Advanced" button. On that screen, there is a tab called "Policies". At least there is in XP. There are two options for Policies, one to enable disk cacheing and the other to enable fast removal. Whatever it's set on, try switching it to the other and see if that improves things.

Sorry, not w/my iPod computer right now, so I may be a little off on that.

Also, when you eject from the systray icon, try not right-clicking the eject hardware icon, but left clicking and selecting the iPod. See if that improves things (it's faster, that's for sure).

Adam

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
Hey Adam thanks for the tip. Unfortunately in Win2K it does not seem to have the same options it does in XP. Basically if I am to right click the I: drive when the IPod is actually being recognized the 4 tabs I get are General (not additional buttons), Tools (has a Disk error checking, backup and defrag button), Hardware (which has a window with all listed Disk drives, a troubleshoot and properties button) and a Sharing Tab (contains basic drive share fields).

Under the Hardware in the window that lists the drives if you highlight the IPod and select Properties it brings you back to the same Properties screen you get for the IPod under Control Panel, System, Device Manager.

Unfortunately none of these provide an option for disk caching or fast removal.

As far as using the "eject button" I only recently tried doing that (because at this point I am willing to try anything) and it didn't change anything.

To tell the truth I believe the problem lies in the fact I cannot "stop" either the drive or the IPod from the "Eject Hardware" Window but rather have to go into properties and Disable the device. While this gets me the Ok to Disconnect message I think it still leaves the OS looking for an I: drive.

Any other guesses? I would be more than willing to give them a try!!! Thanks again!!

ashawley

Website
www.
Silly 2K. Drives me crazy. Have you checked under Disk Management in System Tools>Administrative Options. Again, I totally forget where this is in 2K. It's the screen where you can view your hard drive and management, change drive letter assignments etc.

Might want to also search the MS knowledgebase for this problem...I'm sure it's in there.

Adam

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
Hey ashawley thanks once more for the response.

Well, here is where I am now. Last night I spent some time scanning the boards for IPod problems under Windows and came across someone speaking about the IPodRemove utility which can be used in lieu of the IPod manager to un-mount the 'Pod.

So I install the exe, reboot the server (again :rolleyes: ) and plug in my IPod. Once it is rebooted the IPod is immediately recognized and i can browse to it in windows explorer and transfer to it in Ephpod. So now I want to un-mount, I double click the remove .exe and get a message that it is ok to remove. But I take a look at the IPod and see Do Not Disconnect. So obviously once it is connected Windows is having trouble mounting and un-mounting the device.

So I decide to get drastic. I go to System properties and uninstall the IPod (had previously tried the firewire card but that did not help). Once uninstalled I bounce the box again.

Now when it comes up it automatically installs the driver for the 'Pod in the background and I see the "do not disconnect message" come up on the IPod. But now something is different.....the IPod is no longer mapped to I. It is now listed in Windows Explorer as the H drive. This surprised me because prior to this no matter what I did I could not get the IPod to be recognized by any drive other than I.

With a glimmer of hope I check that I can explore the drive in windows explorer - success and transfer with Ephpod - success. OK now for the real test. I use the IPodremove.exe and get the "ok to disconnect" on my monitor AS WELL AS the IPod. So clearly some progress has been made.

Unfortunately the progress stops there as once I plugged it back in the IPod reads "do not disconnect" but I can no longer view the drive in Explorer (and now by default in Ephpod either).

So I have moved a step further but still have the same issue.

I believe that this is caused by the fact that I sync with two IPods on this machine, the 2nd gen 20 gig and 3rd gen 15, and possibly the drivers for the individual IPod's are conflicting with each other and when I unplug and plug back in the OS does not know which to load. Not sure if that is it or not but I am still searching.

So based on the little book I just wrote what do you think?
As always much appreciated!!

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
Ok, after trying a number of fixes and working for days on a solution I have narrowed the problem down to two things, neither of which have to do with Ephpod.

Win2K Server

1.) Neither of my two IPods are assigned drive letters by the OS when plugging them in to the firewire card if the system is already booted up and running. I need to reboot the system with the IPod plugged in for a drive letter to appear.
2.) Once a drive letter is assigned and a transfer takes place Win2K server is unable to "eject" the IPod.

I appreciate the help ashawley but I am pretty sure just giving the two points listed above in the IPod Problems forum under Windows I may get more responses on how I might be able to resolve.

So if you like you can lock this thread or however you would like to handle. Thanks again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.