• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Subtitles Help

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mashpg

I know theres already a subtitle help topic on this page, but mine is different.

So I downloaded a Korean video, and it came with a separate subtitle file. So I figured I could just add the subtitle file to the .avi movie before converting it, and it'd stay with it after the conversion right? wrong. Once the movie was converted to .mp4 it lost its subtitles.

How do I put them back on? I have QuickTime Pro, VLC, Videora, and that's about it.

Remember this is a downloaded video, not a DVD.

Bobboes

uhm, if you have any video editing program you can take the original video and add it to the program, then add in the subtitles also in the program, then "Make" the video, then convert that file again

did that make sence?

mashpg

Not really. You see, I kinda already did that. I downloaded the video right, and it came with a subtitle file (.srt i think). So I added the subtitle file to the .avi that I downloaded. That worked fine, the subtitles were working well and everything seemed fine. Then I converted that .avi file to .mp4, and the subtitles dissappeared.

If your method isn't working to put the subtitles on the movie correctly then check the link on the sticky at the top of the forum for information and help in adding subtitles to movies. You will probably find information to help you do it correctly and/or correct your mistakes.

mashpg

Well I searched all of the sticky threads for "subtitles" and only found the one for some program only used for DVD conversions. I downloaded this movie. Am I not explaining this enough? Lemme break it down.

So I downloaded this movie called Oldboy. It came with the .avi movie without subtitles, the subtitle file, a program called vobsub, and a read me file that said this:

THIS FILE HAS AN ENGLISH SUBTITLE FILE WITH IT. Do not delete it.

If you do NOT have a subtitle reader installed, it is very simple.
On a PC, open "VobSub_2.23.exe" to install the reader.
The subtitle file will then play seamlessly inside the movie file as it plays in media player.

The video codec in use for this file is XVID.

So I installed vobsub and all that, and that worked fine...for my .avi file. So my Oldboy .avi file was playing the subtitles and I thought I could convert it without losing the subtitles. But after I spent much longer than it should have taken converting, I found an .mp4 file without subtitles. What should I do?