Strange intermittent problem with 5.5G...Opinions please!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MoonlitShadow

I have a 5.5G 80 GB and this problem started just over a week ago. Every once in a while after the iPod hasn't been in use for a few hours, I'll place my headphones in the headphone jack to begin using it again as usual but once I press play nothing will play. I know there is a response from the click wheel each time this happens though, because it is always shown on screen to be in play mode right after pressing and I can go to play, pause, and back again without a problem even without anything actually playing. However, the songs do not start each time this happens. The progress bar just sits at 0:00 and never moves to begin the song, even though "Now Playing" and play position is clearly shown on the screen. Resetting the iPod always seems to solve this problem, but obviously I want to avoid having to reset every time the issue reoccurs throughout the day or week since it can get very annoying and deplete the battery unnecessarily.

I completely restored the iPod once already to see if that would end the issue and that didn't seem to make a difference as the problem still reoccurs whenever it wants to. I would take it to the Apple store, but the issue would have to occur right in front of them for someone to actually believe it was happening. The odds of that are slim since by the time I got there (nearest one is almost an hour away) the iPod would most likely begin playing again. Besides, even if it did occur in front of someone there they would just reset it (as that seems to be the first logical thing they do) and the problem always appears to be resolved when that's done...until the next time it occurs. Also, I really wouldn't want to be given a refurb iPod in return since I've only had this iPod since Christmas, (which I believe is even less than 90 days) and it is in practically mint condition with no other issue. A refurb may have other even worse problems or not even be in the great condition that mine is, right?

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is/was there any way resolve it without taking it back and getting a refurb? Since I'm almost positive Apple wouldn't give me a brand new one at this point, is there any way I can have mine actually fixed instead to ensure that I get my iPod back rather than the refurb? At the times when the iPod doesn't begin to play, it seems to me like the hard drive is just not starting up and resetting gets it going normally again. Wouldn't that just be a simple loose connection somewhere that could be fixed? If so, can anyone recommend a reputable place to have it fixed? I know this post has gotten long, but I really need and would appreciate some answers to the questions and/or advice on where to go from here. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

a7dk

I have had this problem as well. With my first 5.5gen 80gb, I returned it to the Apple store, where they told me it was a hard drive problem and gave me a new one. (Not a refurb; according to the Apple genius they don't give refurbs until the current one is no longer being made, so you woudn't get a 5.5 refurb until the 6gen comes out).

However, I continue to have this problem occasionally even with my new ipod. I discovered that it doesn't require a reset, just turning it off and on again works to solve the issue.

MoonlitShadow

a7dk said:
I have had this problem as well. With my first 5.5gen 80gb, I returned it to the Apple store, where they told me it was a hard drive problem and gave me a new one. (Not a refurb; according to the Apple genius they don't give refurbs until the current one is no longer being made, so you woudn't get a 5.5 refurb until the 6gen comes out).

However, I continue to have this problem occasionally even with my new ipod. I discovered that it doesn't require a reset, just turning it off and on again works to solve the issue.
Thanks for the reply! That's interesting because I was told I would get a refurb. Maybe it varies depending on the particular Apple store? Just a guess... Can anyone else with this problem confirm that they got a new one as well?

Either way after hearing that you occasionally have the same problem with another new one, I'm starting to think it may not even be worth going to get another. I figured it was a hard drive issue, because whenever it happens I don't hear or feel the usual slight movement I'm used to hearing or feeling when a song starts up properly. The best way I can describe it is the hard drive is not always spinning up as it should when you need it to...either that or it's not recognizing the clickwheel as being in play mode and there's a bit of a faulty connection between both those parts. Does that sound right to you? I'm trying to figure out exactly how to explain this to someone at an Apple Store in case I do decide to try and get another one.

Also, and most importantly, did the problem have to occur in front of them (at the genius bar) for them to believe the issue was present and give you a new one? Or did you just explain the issue was intermittent and they gave you another one regardless since they're aware of the problem? The only reason I'm asking that is I'm not sure they'll be able to see it happen by the time I got there, especially since once it shuts off for a while it'll appear to be fine for the next few hours and sometimes even the next few days. I don't want to have to keep trying to get back to the store right when it happens just to prove it to them. I had another iPod (4G) that paused randomly, and I couldn't get a new one until they actually saw it happening which meant numerous drives back and forth until it finally occurred in front of them. I'm sure that sounds crazy but it's true, so I want to make sure I wouldn't have to go through that again with this issue. :shake:

MoonlitShadow

Thanks for the link. Sorry for creating a new thread about it then. I did look for an old one a few pages back at first, but didn't see this before posting my own.

a7dk

To answer your question, it didn't happen in front of the Apple guy. I just told him. he didn't even try to make it happen, he just went in back and got a new one for me. Good luck.

MoonlitShadow

Thanks for letting me know. Maybe when I get some extra time I'll go in for a new one, but now that I see quite a few people have the same issue the odds of getting one without this problem seem pretty slim.