Stolen Cd's = Unacceptable use?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Do you still have a right to the tracks of music on a CD if you had the CD stolen?

• No

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • Don't know

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

CryingWolf

Have iPod will Cruise
I have been thinking about this one for awhile;

What if you had a CD stolen. Do you still have the right to keep and listen to your rips of the CD?

Opinions?

Last edited:

l3vi

Website
www.l3vi.com
I doubt it really matters.. Im sure FBI isnt going to bust into your house because you kept rips from a cd that got stolen ;)

Blue_Dawg

Brainwashed Right Winger
I'm gonna say no only because if push came to shove you could not prove that you bought the cd's.

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
Technically no, unless you can provide any evidence such as a receipt. Morally however it is fine, and so I voted yes.. But who am I to advise you, I have around 18GBs of music that I never did have a legal copy of... :D

-Dan

jwc110869

Technology made me fat
I'll agree with Blue Dawg on this one. If you keep proof of purchase, you might win in a US court, but who keeps CD receipts?

I had a similar dilema when I wanted a CD that had DRM on it. Do I buy the CD, then download off P2P so I can listen to it on my iPod? I chose not to buy the CD at all and go without.

chicken

Even if you don't have a receipt, your copy of the police report on the stolen items (if you reported them stolen) would most likely be enough in the small small chance you get in trouble for having an mp3....

swy32x

By this same token, if we get something stolen from our house, can we use the music on our laptops as 'proof of purchase' of all those CD's, and get more money from the insurance company?

CryingWolf

Have iPod will Cruise
I think that one would be a little harder to prove Snowy. What proves you had the cd in the first place?

Matrixsjd

I highly doubt anybody will take you to court because of it, I mean how are they going to know wheither or not you have the CD and why would it matter? I'm not just going to walk past somebody and be like "do you have the original cd for that music" and if they don't turn them into the cops or something, I've had cd's that disappear on me, that doesn't mean that since I can't find the cd that I should immediatly delete the songs from my ipod just cuss I don't have the original anymore that seems silly, I payed the money for it so wheither or not I have the original anymore should not matter. so it's highly unlikely given any situation that it would matter wheither or not you had the cd IMO.

Last edited:

wolfpacker

I have a mac and use iTunes to rip my CDs. If my hard drive were ever searched, my mp3s would have forensic evidence of being ripped thus (hashes, for instance). If a file were subsequently shown to have been ripped by LAME on a windoze machine, my claim to having ripped the files myself would certainly fall apart.

PHiX

Who gives a ####, if you bought it and it got stolen just listen to it. If you sold it it's another story but I don't get why you'd sell cd's you still like anyway.

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
PHiX said:
Who gives a ####, if you bought it and it got stolen just listen to it. If you sold it it's another story but I don't get why you'd sell cd's you still like anyway.
Well if you already have a back up on your HDD and in this age can burn the discs as another backup copy and want some extra cash, it is an easy way to make some money...

-Dan

Matrixsjd

well then the people that do that should get in trouble, not people who just make copies to have a backup or so they don't have to carry the original around, That's what I do in my car and I see nothing wrong in that.

Blue_Dawg

Brainwashed Right Winger
Most insurance companies won't cover cd's. I had my car broken into a year or so ago and lost 50 cd's. When I filed the claim they said the cd's were not covered because they are too hard to track what you had and didn't have so I lost out on that deal/

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Interesting Moral question. I would have no problem with doing it, but then again I don't have a problem with doing a lot of things like that.....

rebeera

I don't know about what the law would say, but there's no way in hell you'd get me to stop listening to my iPod and copying the files back to my computer and burning CDs with them if my collection was stolen.

rob7897

Not that I buy CDs nowadays anyway, but I would think that on the grounds that your rip is a backup/alternative copy of the original purchase for personal use and now that original is now not in your possession, you do not have the right to keep the backup. This is the point of DRM - ownership of the file being equal to ownership of a CD.

Of course, I would probably burn my CD's back again, and wouldn't think twice about keeping the tracks on my PC/iPod, but the above answer is what I think is the correct position.

Last edited:

Shootingstar11

I said yes because you PAID for the right to listen to the music when you bought it, the person who steals it from you didn't PAY anything for it so they wouldn't have rights . I have no clue how you would prove you actually bought it unless you still had the receipt or something similar.