still frustrated with iPod and Audible

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Teechur

Website
www.teechur.com
Don't get me wrong, I love them both. I use my iPod mostly for listening to books while I work out, so every day I listen to books.

I cannot activate my iPod in the Audible software.

I can upload using iTunes, which works quite well...BUT when I recharge it still loses my bookmarks, no matter what I do. I hate that. I have to remember where I left off each time, and as I often listen to more than one book depending on my mood, it's very frustrating. I like Audible's ability to upload only a part of the book (so I could easily not upload the first two hours if I've already heard them, making it easier to find my place in a very long book).

I am still having problems with it cutting the last ten minutes or so of audio off of older (format 1 or 2) books. But it did that this week with The Gunslinger (the new version) which was a format 3.

I have a Mac iPod which I formatted to work with a real computer. Using Windows 2000. The problem with the Audible software not seeing my iPod is that it looks for the Apple software on my system. I don't have it since I didn't buy a WiniPod.

Any ideas? I've read through the boards and have yet to find an answer to how to NOT lose my place in books when I recharge or resynch. Perhaps there is no way.

In the scheme of life, but a blip on the screen...so it isn't like I'm going Vesuvius over the thing. I'd just like to get it working the way I'd like it to work.

Thanks much!

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
i have the same problem with the audible software not finding my ipod. Its a 3g 10 gig ipod thats worked flawlessly since i got it, but audible just won't recognize it. I guess it doesn't matter though cause i have no need for it to recognize the ipod

SouthsideIrish

I use MC10 beta and Audible files almost work perfectly, except for the occasional stop in the first minute or so, although this doesn't seem to be happening as much now.

BTW, Audible Tech Support has told me that the Audible Software and iTunes can't be used at the same time, so if you are using iTunes you will need to remove the Audible Manager and activate the iPod through iTunes. Also, since I use MC10 I never let the Audible Manager run while I have my iPod connected since it will screw up the database with MC10.

Bill McNair

Last edited:

Teechur

Website
www.teechur.com
Actually got it working now. Here's what I did.

Installed iTunes and made sure it was up to date.
Downloaded 1.3 and set that up.
Reformatted my iPod and installed 1.3.

It's a silly little thing, but man oh man is it nice to have it working right! I used to hate it when I'd plug it in and THEN remember that I hadn't made a note where my book left off. Not a huge deal at the beginning of the book, but when you're in the middle of a book you've been listening to for four days...frustration city.

Thanks for the help guys!

Podunk

Bill,

If you download Audible files from Audible website, (as opposed to iTMS), you will still need AudibleManager to handle the Audible downloads.

What you no longer need will be the the AudibleManager iPod plug-in. If you have already have the iPod plug-in for AudibleManager, you can easily disable it by going into AudibleManager under Devices menu. Select choose mobile device, set it to none. This will prevent AudibleManager from communicating with your iPod. Consequently, it speeds up the overall launch cycle. And this way, you can also leave AudibleManager running in the system tray for fast downloading, but it won't try to connect to the iPod.

I'm pretty sure this will apply equally when using MC9/10. If you turn off (or remove the iPod plug-in in AM), I think this will eliminate the database problem you mention and you can run both programs at the same time. Can you check to see if this is true for MC10 as well?

:p