SpiralFrog - Free, major record label music.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Germansuplex

I didn't see this anywhere else, so my apologies if it has been posted, but has anyone checked this site out? It's totally legit, and offers 100% free music from major artists, as well as music videos. I'm guessing that their library will build as time goes by and people start visiting the site by the crapload.

You sign up for a profile, install a small download manager (don't worry, it's not a virus ladden piece of crap like some shady websites are) and download any and as much of the music as you like. It is in WM fairplay DRM, though, so take note of that.

Nice layout, but it's a bit slow right now, at least on firefox. Check it out.

www.spiralfrog.com

kornchild2002

I checked it out and this service is legitimate. It is free so one can't complain too much but I just don't like this service. The artist selection is very limited, they use DRM WMA files which can only be played back on your computer and a handful of portable players out there (ie not the iPod or even the Microsoft Zune), and it seems too stressed on the free part and not enough on quality. Personally, I would rather ust pay for my music and have the selection I want along with being able to do whatever I want with it.

It isn't bad if you have an older FairPlay compatible device but Microsoft has abandoned that technology (they stopped supporting it back in 2006 with the release of the Zune) and you definitely can't play your files back on a iPod or even convert them to a iTunes/iPod compatible format. There are methods for doing this but they are not legal and can't be discussed here.

Overall, I give it a 3/10 in that it gets points for being free but that is about as far as they go.

iPodBlanc

Is there anyway to get it unprotected? I downloaded a few songs from the site and tried to burn them to a cd, but it wouldn't even burn to a cd. At least with the DRM from iTunes you can still burn them to a cd.

Germansuplex

You can, but you can't discuss how to do it on this site.

I won't be using the service anymore. It looked great at a glance, but it's not worth it. The DRM is very restrictive and not compatible with the most popular media player out there, the iPod. You can't build up a list of songs to download automatically: you have to select each song. You get frequent crashes, and I really have no desire to watch ads. I commend them for offering something totally free to users, but it's not for me.

iTunes DRM is less restrictive, and Amazon's store is arguably a better option than either one. I'll be sticking with iTunes for convenience purposes.

It is in beta, so maybe they'll improve in the future.

Dr.Gonzo

Seems the major labels couldn't innovate a ham sandwich. I dream of one day in the future (maybe in my lifetime) where all music labels are owned by the likes of Apple and other 'Tech' companies.

bdb

On the B side of life
Its OK for checking out music; I listened to a few songs I was considering purchasing on eMusic. The selection is just very, very limited.

It plays in Winamp just fine. I tried to put a song on my Zen Nano Plus, and it failed with an error about the license.

bexpo

Free Great World Music

http://www.limkokwing.net/media/music/ I just visited this site that has really beautiful world music that is fabulous. It is from a University in Indonesia or Singapore. . .anyway GO and download from all five of the albums. It is a University that is bringing students from all over the world. . peace . .harmony. . love. . can happen through great music.