Sound Quality?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bdb

On the B side of life
I really need something to replace my 4G iPod. Initially I was planning to get a Classic, but given all the reports of technical problems and even poor sound quality, I'm not so sure. Plus, I demo'd a Classic at Best Buy and the click wheel is horribly unresponsive.

Even though my iPod is full (and I could easily fill an 80GB nearly to capacity), I often find myself tossing my little (chewing gum pack sized) Creative Nano Plus in my pocket because its just so small and convenient. I'm weighing whether the convenience is worth the loss of choice, and maybe the other factors might tip the balance.

So I'd like to hear from some previous iPod owners. Does the iPod Nano sound quality measure up to previous models? Does the click wheel work equally well?

And all non-video output cables work, right?

Thanks!

Dunkin

I have both the 1st and 3rd generation nanos and a 80GB 5G. The 5G's sound is warmer than the nanos but it can be a little muddy. I think the 3G nano sounds a little better. The 3G's mids are more pronounced and the sound stage is wider (more open) than the 1G or the 5G. I think all iPods sound harsh when the volume exceeds 75-80% but the 3G is just a little more so. The sound is fine at lower volume levels. I listen with Sony MDX-ER71s.

The click wheel on the my nano works fine.

I think you might run into problems with 3rd party cables and components that use the dock connector. Anything that uses the headphone jack should be fine.