Sound quality difference between Ipod Classic Generations?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Jordan_L

Hey, some people here may know that there have been six generations of the Ipod that is now known as the sixth generation Ipod Classic.

I have not bought an Ipod yet and probably will soon. I only need an Ipod with as little as 10GB or less of space;however, I'm unsure if there is a sound quality difference between the generations.

Is there a large difference in sound quality between the 3rd and 6th generation?

Is there a large difference in sound quality between the 4th, 5th, and 6th generations?

Last question, would the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th generations for the Ipod Classic all give the same sound quality when plugged into my Clarion headunit in the car running with my car audio system?

jasoncordelle

5th Gen is generally rumoured to have the best sound quality of the later iPods...

I have a 6G Classic, which sounds fine to me.

reneipod

I have a 5th gen, an iPod classic (aka 6th gen), and a few 3rd gen nano's. I could tell you which one sounds good to me, but that is me. Your preference may be different. Honestly and truly, whenever I have my earphones in, there is a degree of outside noise which distracts from the music any way. Be it mowing the lawn, window down in the car, window up in the car but road noise from the tires, kids screaming and yelling. You're really not going to decipher which sounds better. And besides, trying to sit and listen to music in a completely quiet environment is never going to happen. Just get which iPod capacity will fit your needs and be done with it, you'll be alright.

The difference in sound quality is minimal unless you have like $500 earphones and are a complete audiophile.

kornchild2002

Just to enlighten on what renipod said, you need to be more than an audiophile. Audiophiles are just people who care about music quality. Stupid audiophiles are people who will spend $500 on an Ethernet cable simply because they think that they can actually hear a difference with it (when all they are really hearing is the placebo affect).

So I would replace the words "a complete audiophile" (in their last statement) with "a person with super hearing power beyond 99.9999999999% of the rest of the population.."

laurenglenn

Some of us listen to music where it makes a difference when something isn't coded correctly. I listen to Dream Theater quite often and can honestly tell you that there really is a difference between the iPod Classic and the 5th gen or the 1st shuffle.

If you listen to standard 4:4 rhythm pop music or electronic music (or primarily music that was recorded before digital recording was done on all music (mid 80's and prior), there is little difference.

On music with distorted guitars, keyboards, bass, and a fast double bass drum, you can hear the iPod struggling with it. I wouldn't personally spend $500 on headphones for an iPod or even $100 for Bose headphones as the iPod isn't capable of outputting sound quality good enough for them, IMO.

If you hook up a PSP to a car stereo, it sounds damn good as does the Creative Zen. Those devices would benefit from Bose speakers.

misper666

the thing with calling something 'placebo effect' is that there still may be a difference, albeit a small one - you don't know until you actually measure it.

also there are other factors which confuse people into calling something lesser quality, like volume output; if you like it loud then buy something with a volume cap, you ain't gonna be happy (please no remarks about damaging hearing, i know). for example, i prefer the sound of my 4g but i could uncap that... so round & round we go back to placebo effect.

you need to physically compare. overall differnt players (inc. music phones) will please but some may sound better [to you] than others. more often than not, if i have a recording that niggles me i look at how it's format / bitrate / encoding & surprise surprise it was an old DRM itunes 128 mp3. so i change that if i'm bothered by it. also, i know a few recordings on my CDs don't sound great to begin with either.

so yeah - latest ipods sound great. don't be fooled by rival brand 'fan boys' or employees saying "this sounds like cr*p" (i mean come on, what is cr*p supposed to sound like? LOL!)