Soul Meets Body

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

antiditz

Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. anyone hear the new DCFC single? They've posted it on their myspace page here

I gave it a cursory listen and wasn't exactly blown away. Definitely different than the Transatlanticism sound. I need to hear it some more though, before I pass judgement.

antiditz

What, no Death Cab fans on this board? Is it uncool to like 'em now they've 'defected' to the big leagues?

As to the single, meh, I've heard better. It sounds a bit overproduced, (even though it's still Walla behind the board I think)like they've lost something of the sound I liked so much in Photo Album then came to love in transatlanticism. I wonder what the album will be like...

bdb

On the B side of life
Its OK. Like you say, pretty heavily produced. They're aiming for big radio now, I guess.

antiditz

enjoilax said:
Its produced by Chris Walla, how could it be over produced?
Yeah, I wondered about that too. Maybe, even though he was officially producing, some concessions had to made to the suits? To make the sound more radio-friendly?

I dunno. I guess I'll wait 'til the album comes out and pass judgement then.

enjoilax - have you listened to the track?

enjoilax

antiditz said:
Yeah, I wondered about that too. Maybe, even though he was officially producing, some concessions had to made to the suits? To make the sound more radio-friendly?

I dunno. I guess I'll wait 'til the album comes out and pass judgement then.

enjoilax - have you listened to the track?
I have listened to it, and i say so what if its not lo-fi? I don't want my music to sound like it was recorded coming out of a tin can or my bedroom.

antiditz

enjoilax said:
I don't want my music to sound like it was recorded coming out of a tin can or my bedroom.
You're right, that's exactly what transatlanticism sounded like.

bdb

On the B side of life
If DCFC wants to target a different audience, thats their decision. Maybe somebody else will buy their new CD.

Of course, they're taking the chance of possibly losing their old audience and not gaining a new one.

antiditz

Guess that means you won't be buying this one, bdb. And that maybe fame, or becoming OC-ified, is good for business yet bad for music quality and/or consistency?

enjoilax

I think you guys are lame, as a good album is a good album.
And even when the band's own guitar player is producing it, you still have a problem. I think the new song is pretty good.

bdb

On the B side of life
antiditz said:
Guess that means you won't be buying this one, bdb. And that maybe fame, or becoming OC-ified, is good for business yet bad for music quality and/or consistency?
Do we have a new term now: OC-ified? ;)

Personally I like the music from the OC. I don't care if its a popular show; a lot of the music they pick is indie, and some pretty good indie. If I refused to buy things just because they're popular, I'd have never bought an iPod!

I also don't make CD purchasing decisions based on just one song. There are thousands of albums that have one or two good songs and the rest suck; there's no reason the inverse can't be true. Despite who produced it (I have no idea why this matters), this is a different sound than what they've had...but it doesn't necessarily mean the entire CD will have that sound. So the rest of the album could have a more traditional DCFC sound (so Enjoilax will hate it), or it could all be this new sound (so I'll pass on it). Or this song could fit quite nicely into something new, that maybe both of us will like. Who know?

Enjoilax, I don't see what's so "lame" about not liking a song you like. From what I've read of your tastes, I'd hate most of what you like (and vice versa, most likely). If everyone had the same tastes, that would be pretty damn "lame".

Last edited:

enjoilax

bdb said:
If DCFC wants to target a different audience, thats their decision. Maybe somebody else will buy their new CD.

Of course, they're taking the chance of possibly losing their old audience and not gaining a new one.
^^^ this is lame ^^^ and what i referring to.

I can understand not liking an album for a different sound, but to ditch them because they are "targeting a different audience" is lame.
If they totally sold out, i would understand. But they have been moving twoard this, i mean, from the sound of Plans i might call this album "Transatlanticism 2".

bdb

On the B side of life
Ah, perhaps I wasn't clear. Its a different sound..to me anyway. I'm assuming they're doing that to target a different audience. I don't really care about the target audience, but I do care how it sounds.

Its probably in their best interest to have a sound that I don't like. Most of the bands I really like aren't all that successful. :)

antiditz

bdb said:
Do we have a new term now: OC-ified? ;)
Yup. You'll find it in the dictionary, right under Seinfelded and Survivorized. :p

No one (at least not me) said anything about ditching them. We were just remarking on the different sound of this new single and taking the wait-and-see approach as to the new album. Personally, Death Cab is one of my favorite bands, I have almost all of their stuff from way before transatlaticism and their OC days, so I'd say I'm going in to this with an open mind and the scales slightly tipped in their favor.

Now as to being called "lame" I hate to paraphrase from the cinema, but I sometimes wonder, enjoi, if you come to this forum determined to be displeased with everything and everyone in it. There's nothing wrong with not having everyone share your opinions. As bdb said, that would make for a pretty "lame" uninteresting time.

enjoilax

Nevermind, we'll leave it at that.

I guess pitchfork agrees with you guys though, they gave the single 2 stars/5

bdb

On the B side of life
enjoilax said:
I guess pitchfork agrees with you guys though, they gave the single 2 stars/5
Pitchfork agrees with ME? Has anyone heard any news about the weather in hell lately? :)

btlaxripper

I'm listening the to the single for about the 6th time right now and here's how I weigh in.

To me it sounds like DCFC has lost the "washed over effect" where it seems like there is something muffling the music, and you can now clearly hear the guitars and drums. The singer's voice on this track definetly seems experimental, you would definetly not hear him trying to hit so high so repeatedly in any other song of theirs.

The beat is quite irregular almost too, the opening beat reminds me of a rain dance to be honest... I don't know why.

You aren't going to get another Transatlanticism, yes these are new songs but I don't think they have changed their image or sound at all!

Unlike Coldplay, they are producing fresh sounding tracks.
Unlike DMB they aren't experimenting too much.

And that is a good thing.

EDIT:
If you somehow "acquire" more songs on "Plans" you will ease your fears, like listen to "Marching Bands of Manhattan" etc.

good stuff, can't wait

Last edited:

Lara

antiditz said:
Now as to being called "lame" I hate to paraphrase from the cinema, but I sometimes wonder, enjoi, if you come to this forum determined to be displeased with everything and everyone in it.
Isn't that a book quote from Pride and Prejudice? ;)

I'm a pretty new music fan and haven't had the chance to hear all of DCFC's Transatlanticism album yet. But I *can* say I've become exposed and interested in the group thanks to "Soul Meets Body". In fact I'm looking into going to one of their fall tour gigs if I'm in town. So hopefully this is a sign they're gaining new fans.

btlaxripper

What Sarah Said sounds hauntingly like Transatlanticism, so I think they aren't changing drastically at all....

sorry 4th post probably making this same point