Sony MDR-EX71SL Revelation

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Capital R

AKA Randall
Website
restinchaos.deviantart.com
I have had my EX71's for about 7 months now. They have performed pretty well for my tastes...or so I thought. I read review after review of people saying that the bass on these in-ear's to be too overpowering, and even muddy at some times. I for one never experienced anything like that- I actually thought there was a lack of bass. I usually use these for working out and just being active. One night, I decided to sleep with these in my ears because my Sennheiser's were downstairs. I laid my head back, and all of a sudden, a TON of bass poured through my ear canal. How could this be?! I repositioned my head in an upright position, and the bass went away. I have big ears, and use the big ear pads, but for some reason there's an extremely subtle amount of bass in every song I listn to unless I tilt my head back to a 90 degree position. Now I am totally unpleased by these canal-phones. Anyone else experience this or have any advice to bring the bass back so I can actually enjoy my songs without lying down?

Or, any suggestions as to which earphones I should upgrade to?

Thanks for reading...

EDIT: I solved the problem, decided to use soft foam inserts instead and the bass returned. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

Echo_

im guessing your not getting a good seal but when you laid your head back your ears closed up and it got a good seal thus giving yuou the bass impact

afbug

®©?™
You need to use it like ear plugs. It should block out some ambient noise when properly position in your ears.

Last edited:

Capital R

AKA Randall
Website
Echo_ said:
im guessing your not getting a good seal but when you laid your head back your ears closed up and it got a good seal thus giving yuou the bass impact
YEah my guess is that the silicone isn't forming a good enough seal, perhaps I should get foam inserts?

Originally posted by afbug
You need to use it like ear plugs. It should block out some ambient noise when properly position in your ears
I am, I followed the instructions on the sticky exactly, and ambient noise is pretty much muted. My ear canal might just be awkwardly shapen or something, because the bass just doesn't get through.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

draco

Boldly Going Nowhere
what kind of soft foam inserts did you use? did you make your own? i have the same issue sometimes.

chanley

Capital R said:
I am, I followed the instructions on the sticky exactly, and ambient noise is pretty much muted. My ear canal might just be awkwardly shapen or something, because the bass just doesn't get through.
same here, these headphones just aren't doing the bass thing for me.

Capital R

AKA Randall
Website
I just used an Etymotic foam instert, but covered it with a thin layer of soft foan similar to that used on the Koss Plug earbuds, then stuck it onto the EX71SL. I had to resort to this only because my ear canal seems to be flurkin' gigantic.

If you have average size ears, then try moving to a smaller size ear pad if possible (obviously if you use the small pads, this won't be possible), perhaps then the canal-phone can get deep enough to create a better seal.

Last edited:

warpdrive

Head-fi junkie
Yah, you are not getting a good seal with the Sony eartips, so you should try others. Once you get the seal, the bass should consistently come through. There's no way that the EX71 sound like they have a lack of bass.

Of course, maybe the bass is too much for your taste and a lack of a seal is a good thing