song always stops at 2:21

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

miniMAMF

Hi all

My 5.5G is about 2 weeks old. Up until now, it was working fine. But the other day, I decided to give the mp3 gain program a go. I ran it on a few albums to test it out. They worked okay in iTunes, and so I changed the iPod manager to manually transfer files so I could replace those albums on the iPod.

Everything transferred okay, but now I've got a few of those songs that stop about half way through the song, but only when played on the iPod. In iTunes they are fine. On the iPod, the time jumps to the end and it goes into pause mode.

This was happening to a song that I did not apply mp3 gain on, so I'm pretty sure there's not a problem with mp3gain'd files.

First thing I tried was a reset on the iPod. No dice.

I tried changing the manager back to autosync, becasue I heard of this problem having something to do with the manual transfer setting. I removed playlists from the sync list so that the problem files were taken off the iPod, and then re-synced those playlists so they were copied back to the iPod. Still no dice.

Anyone got any ideas? I will try a restore on the iPod (after only 2 weeks - duh?) after I finish processing all my files with mp3gain, so I can resync the entire library.

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
miniMAMF said:
Hi all

My 5.5G is about 2 weeks old. Up until now, it was working fine. But the other day, I decided to give the mp3 gain program a go. I ran it on a few albums to test it out. They worked okay in iTunes, and so I changed the iPod manager to manually transfer files so I could replace those albums on the iPod.

Everything transferred okay, but now I've got a few of those songs that stop about half way through the song, but only when played on the iPod. In iTunes they are fine. On the iPod, the time jumps to the end and it goes into pause mode.

This was happening to a song that I did not apply mp3 gain on, so I'm pretty sure there's not a problem with mp3gain'd files.

First thing I tried was a reset on the iPod. No dice.

I tried changing the manager back to autosync, becasue I heard of this problem having something to do with the manual transfer setting. I removed playlists from the sync list so that the problem files were taken off the iPod, and then re-synced those playlists so they were copied back to the iPod. Still no dice.

Anyone got any ideas? I will try a restore on the iPod (after only 2 weeks - duh?) after I finish processing all my files with mp3gain, so I can resync the entire library.

Anyone got any ideas?
Is this one song or all songs?

There have been some reports that replacing song files have lead to problems with the gapless setting and the iPod/&-or-iTunes thinking the song should stop sooner than it should.

Double check the stop time in iTunes, but that probably isn't the issue as you say songs play normally in iTunes.

If all songs are present in iTunes I may cut my losses and restore, resync completely in case it's an alias issue. Better to just start 100% from a clean iPod.

Good luck

miniMAMF

Thanks for the reply. I did try a restore and rebuilt the library on the iPod, but the problem still occurred. I then deleted the song from the iTunes library and synced again. Then disconnected iPod, added the song again to iTunes, and re-synced again. Now it's working.

I still have to check on another album - I think it was happening there too, but I was working at the office while listening so I wasn't paying that close attention, and it was shuffling through a gapless album so abrupt cutt-offs may have been perfectly normal.

Seems, odd, anyway, that I had a mini for 3 years with no such problems, and only two weeks with this new one and stuff like this is happening.

miniMAMF

I'm still continuing to have these problems, with other files. It seems to affect all the songs within a particular album. Doesn't seem to make a difference if the tracks were downloaded or if they were ripped from CD, or whether they are aac or mp3. Sometimes they cut out with 5 seconds left, and sometimes halfway through the song.

Does anyone think this constitutes a warranty exchange with Apple? I've already restored twice. Of course, it could just be the new firmware has glitches. Still - bottom line - the iPod is not performing like it should.

miniMAMF

Just as an update, in case anyone else has encountered the same problem, I think I've figured it out. The songs that were imported into iTunes 7.0 had this problem. When I re-imported using 7.0.1, they were fine. That's as near as I can figure it. Just chalk it up to the list of problems with 7.0. Glad they released that fix when they did!

jhpope

Website
jhpope.blogspot.com
i've had this problem with my ipod. the song plays fine in itunes but on my ipod the song stops and certain times and just freezes pretty much and doesn't finish playing. if i delete the songs from itunes and then bring them back and re-sync it fixes but this sucks cause i loose play counts...ect. also in itunes, sometimes the last song in an album won't finish playing, it just stops w/ a second or two left.

are there any other threads addressing this problem, i can't imagine i'm the only one having it

miniMAMF

I found that 7.0.1 fixed the problem. Didn't know there was a 7.0.2 update. When was it released?