Someone recommend me some study music

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Phillyzero

Canadian Lounger
Well was wondering if anybody knew some nice music that I can study to, no rap/hip hop, and nothing too loud, lol what do you guys study too (something I can listen to and not get distracted while a study :D )

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
Belle & Sebastian are usually helpful for me. Soft, melodic, and beautiful. Their recent EP compilation (Push Barman To Open Old Wounds) is a fantastic collection.

I've aslo found krautrock groups such as Can, Kraftwerk, and Neu! to be useful. And the "Berlin" Bowie albums from '77 - Low and Heroes, especially the second half of both.

Also - perhaps some post-rock in Stereolab and Tortoise.

-Dan

Last edited:

bdb

On the B side of life
Anything with lyrics really throws me off when I'm reading, but there are some bands that just play instrumental rock (usually fairly quiet).

Japancakes (not Japanese music, these guys are from Texas!)
Boards of Canada (kind of electronic)
Tommy Guerrero
Southpacific
The Shipping News (some of their songs are instrumental)
Tortoise (sort of experimental music)
Lanterna
Dirty Three (violin, guitar & drums, some is very good)

Some electronic music is also very good for chilling & studying:
Bill Laswell (reggae dubbed electronic)
Blue States
Caia
Lemon Jelly
Saru
The Merkin Dream
Thievery Corporation
Kitaro (sort of quiet new-age stuff)
Deuter (VERY quiet new-age stuff!)
Orchestral Superstring

All the above be obtained from eMusic.com for very reasonable prices (free, the first month). The tracks from Deuter can be 20 minutes long, for the same price as regular songs. I can send you playlists if you like.

Windham Hill has been making great quiet music for a few decades now. Lots of solo guitar & piano. Nightnoise is very Celtic sounding, and mostly instrumental (some sung in Celtic, which doesn't distract me much).

I also like listening to what I call "cafe" music, which might be heard in a Florence cafe or something. Some of Astor Piazzolla's less-outrageous stuff, mostly accordian and guitar.

frisk291

I like DJ Shadow and RJD2 because they're both instrumental artists that make beats good enough to keep you awake and alert while your're studying.

Pod Newton

"Belle & Sebastian are usually helpful for me. Soft, melodic, and beautiful. Their recent EP compilation (Push Barman To Open Old Wounds) is a fantastic collection."

Boy, thats for sure. "Push Barman ..." is fantastic and certainly study-worthy. A couple other soft, melodic & beautiful choices that work for me are"Mojave 3" (Excuses for Travellers & Spoon and Rafter) and Mazzy Star (Among my Swan & So Tonight that I Might See).

antiditz

Pursuit of Happiness by Weekend Players is a fantastic album. Half of it is a bit clubby, but songs like Jericho, Higher Ground, Angel, Best Days of Our Lives should do the trick.

atom_young

If there's one thing I know about, it's study music! Generally I steer clear of music with lyrics. Although I can tolerate some and if I know the ablum well enough the lyrics become less of a problem (my mind has heard it so much it doesn't waste any resources processing it, that's my theory).

My favourites (although, maybe not for everyone):

Eric Clapton - Unplugged
K.C. Accidental (precursor to Broken Social Scene) - they have 2 albums. Both are great. It's post-rock style instrumentals. Great for studying.
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Shine on you Parts 1 and 2 especially)
Radiohead - Kid A and Amnesiac (do I ever love these ablums)
Sigur Ros (only for awhile though, the jibberish drives me nuts if i listen to it for too long)

and finally, my personal fave:
Broken Social Scene - Feel Good Lost <-- Great instrumental ablum. BSS's debut. Awesome for study or sleep.

Sypher

transmissions94
Website
www.undergroundhiphop.com
French hip hop works for me because I can't understand the lyrics. But I find that electronic music is the best.. particularly stuff like Way Out West, Leftfield, Underworld, Orbital...

booftermatt

Ipod 133tzor
if your one of the following people, try amping urself up first with louder music. Im one of those people who really cant get inspired to study so i use heavier music to get in the mood. Once im studying i listen to the beatles 1 album, i know these songs off by heart.

You remember the song, you remember what you were doing/reading whilst listening to it