Some iPod Nano Questions

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

wormyrocks

Hey, I've been lurking for a while here but have not posted in this particular forum before. Anyways, I have an interesting story about my fourth generation iPod nano.
The second attached image is of the Nano's logic board. I refer to parts of it throughout this post. Credit to iFixit to the image.
The first one is the bottom of the Click Wheel assembly. I took it myself. Sorry it sucks.

Basically, the iPod disappeared in May of 2010, only to show up two days ago... in the back yard, ports and jacks caked with mud and rust.
Plugged it in, gave me a blank gray screen. No warranty. Decided to take it apart.
That went without a hitch. Disassembled using Youtube and iFixit. Cleaned out some of the crap on the inside. It at least appears to be in working order at this point, although I'm sure there's been water damage. After I did this I was able to plug the logic board into my computer and actually restore the OS and sync music.
Reconnected the logic board to the screen. Still gives me a blank gray screen. Could it be that the screen is faulty, or is there just some irreparable, invisible damage somewhere in there? The flex cable to the screen seems to be in good shape, as does the logic board. Also, I noticed that the screen immediately turned off when I unplugged the click wheel. Will the screen even work without full operation of the click wheel?
Tried inserting it back into the case, on a whim... oh crap! Snagged the hold switch cable on the top of the enclosure and it broke at the corner. You know how the hold switch cable on a nano goes through a right angle? It broke there.
Anyways, any comments on how to fix that would be much appreciated but first I want to restore functionality beyond that of a flash drive. :p
So. Headphone jack, as well as some software works. (I plugged in headphones, turned the click wheel, and heard clicking noises.)
Turns out the click wheel assembly has to be sitting on top of the logic board in order to make the 'click' noise through the iPod's tiny built in speaker. There are two gold contacts (labeled 1 and 2 in second image) on top of which the CW must be sitting in order for it to make click noises through the speaker. That works.
However, there are two silver contacts (3 and 4 in image 2) whose purpose is unknown to me, but evidently interface with the Click Wheel. (They line up with circled contacts in image 1, of the Click Wheel board.) The iPod does not seem to recognize presses of any of the face buttons. Perhaps those contacts have to do with the buttons? This would make sense because, in my iPod, contact #4 is rusted out. Could probably be fixed with a dab of solder.

So. If you've gotten this far you probably know your way around the inside of an iPod. My questions stand thusly:
a) Does the screen need the Click Wheel to be fully functional in order to operate?
b) What do contacts #3 and #4 in image 1 do?
c) Would it be possible to fix a severed hold switch cable without gutting another iPod?

Thanks in advance for any and all useful comments. I loved this iPod and never expected to see it again, and while my Palm is a great music player it never even came close.

Attachments

Last edited:

wormyrocks

If I can't fix the hold switch satisfactorily i may mount the internals in an Altoids box. Has anyone done this? If so, would it be possible to wire it to a larger battery?

Rocksure

hi,
Apple has also thrown in a Genius Mixes selection under the music menu, which brings over one of the new ballyhooed features from iTunes 9

Hudson Millar

wormyrocks

Okay, thanks...
I've posted this in a few places and still havent gotten any replies.. no one knows anything about this?