Some blast from the past recommendations

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

wolfpacker

I've loaded up my 40GB 'pod with a ton of old albums that I haven't listened to in
a LONG time. And I've recently bought a lot of CDs used from a friend of mine
and digitized them all. I wanted to drop some recommendations "from the vault",
so to speak. These are from the period 1986 to 1990. I was in college at the time,
listening to a great college radio station and going to see some great bands at clubs.
It was a period where I went from listening mainly to Classic Rock to branching out to
the world of 80s Alternative.

1) Social Distortion - Social Distortion
This is one of those "perfect" albums from start to finish. Has "Ball and Chain" and "Story of My Life", two of their better known songs, plus such gems as a great cover of "Ring of Fire". Every track is good and rocking.

2) House of Love - House of Love
There are two eponymous albums by this band. I had the second, called the Fontana album, back in college and it was a favorite. I recently got this one, the first album from 1988. This band had, to me, one of the perfect blends of guitar and vocals. This band is a bridge from the sound of The Smiths to bands like The Stone Roses and Ride. As much as I love the Fontana album, this one is actually superior in most aspects.

3) The Church - Heyday
This band had their first real success over here in the States with 1988's Starfish. I wore out my vinyl copy of that pretty quick back in the day, and it was one of the handful of albums I owned at the time that I replaced with a CD copy when I bought by first CD player in 1989. I bought some of their new releases after that (Priest = Aura comes to mind), but never filled out the back catalog. This album is the one that came out right before (by 2 years) Starfish. This album has a very similiar feel to Starfish. A very, very strong collection of songs. In fact, it is probably more consistant than Starfish, although the latter has standout tracks that are stronger than any single track on this album. I heard this back to back with The House Of Love album above (with the 40 Gigger on random by album) and the late 80s guitar sound really took me back. Some really great playing on this album.

iPodHawk

Music from 1986 to 1990 now qualifies as a "blast from the past"??? How depressing. I thought you were going to talk about old stuff. ;)

Seriously, those are very nice recommendations. Coincidentally, while I didn't listen to them at the time, I have picked up music from all 3 of those artists from iTMS. Good stuff - got any other recommendations from the "way-back machine"?

Supter

1967 Love - Forever Changes
1968 The United States Of America - Self-Titled
1969 MC5 - Kick Out The Jams
1971 T. Rex - Electric Warrior
1972 Can - Ege Bamyasi

bucolic

Budgie - Bandolier (1975)
David Gilmour - David Gilmour (1978)
Hot Tuna - Yellow Fever (1975)
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic (1973)

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
I don't like too much from the 1980's, but my top picks from that time period would probably be:

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (1985)
The Police - Synchronicity (1985)
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (1987)

-Dan

wolfpacker

OK, another recommendation. Not usually much of a metal guy, but I've always had a place in my heart and my record collection for early Ozzy. Heard the Diary of a Madman album on the way into work this morning and really enjoyed it. Nearly as good as Blizzzard of Ozz.

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
wolfpacker said:
OK, another recommendation. Not usually much of a metal guy, but I've always had a place in my heart and my record collection for early Ozzy. Heard the Diary of a Madman album on the way into work this morning and really enjoyed it. Nearly as good as Blizzzard of Ozz.
I'm not much of a metal fan, but I do like a few from the 1980's.. Blizzard of Ozz is an awesome album, same with some Metallica albums from the 1980s such as Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. I also like Iron Maiden, especially when Burce D.ickenson took over, The Number of the Beast is a good album I'd say..

-Dan

Last edited:

wolfpacker

I agree, all of those are great albums. Metallica up thru and including ...And Justice For All were incredible.