Solution to Sync music libraries between two Macs?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Mojo The Monkey

I have an iBook and a G4 Cube. I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to keep my libraries syncronized. Any suggestions?

deeg

if your tags are consistent for the common files then...

i assume you can connect them via network ok.. if so enable the "copy files to library when adding" option on the machine you wish to sync, on the sending machine take the file>export option to create a text file of the library and required playlists, on the receiving machine run a file>import against each text file... itunes scans the local machine for missing files and collects them as required during the import... be warned any differences in the id3 tag, such as genre, will create a duplicate so make sure the tags match on both libraries for any existing files....

if the tags for the same tracks vary from machine to machine i have a routine which will use the export file and just check the file paths for missing tracks and copy them over... let me know if you would like a copy but be warned i am still writing it so it may have the odd bug.. accented characters in tracks and punctuation marks are giving it issues currently...

jworrall

This is a great sounding technique, but I can't get it to work. iTunes says, "Some of the songs in Library.txt were not imported because they could not be found". It can't find any of them. Any thoughts?
thanks,
Jim

deeg

do the songs play ok in the iTunes that created the txt/xml file ?
is the disk that holds the music files to be copied mounted on the receiving Mac ?
can you navigate manually to the location of the files and copy one yourself ?

jworrall

Apparently I had done something goofy because I was logged into both the volume and my user's folder on the other computer. That must have confused things. I reattempted it and it actually worked! Thanks very much, that is a neat and apparently little-known trick. I certainly can't find it documented in the Help.
Jim