• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Solution for video problems with 1.1 update (uses QTPro, but not for encoding)...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

tmeader

I originally posted this in the now 9 page Firmware 1.1 "condensed" thread. Wasn't sure how many people were ever going to see it all the way near the end, so I figured I'd create a new topic in the hopes of reaching (and hopefully helping) more people:
---
Well, I have found a solution of sorts it seems. The only caveat is that you will need Quicktime Pro to solve the issue (however, the key here is that you don't have to ENCODE with Quicktime Pro, thus it's much MUCH faster), also the videos will have to have been encoded in MPG4 format with whatever you used (Videora, etc), not H.264.

So, the solution is:

1) Open up the Videora created .mp4 file in Quicktime Pro
2) Select File->Export
3) Select "Movie to MPEG-4" beside "Export:", then click the OPtions button
4) Select "Video" and make sure that the "Video Format" is set to "Pass through"
5) Do the same for "Audio", then hit OK
6) Save the file

Basically what this does is rewrites the MPEG-4 "container" that the video is stored in. It seems that the iPod with the 1.1 firmware has a problem with the container as created by Videora and other programs. By simply rewriting the container, the videos play fine. This process can take up to a minute or two depending on the size of the file, but still MUCH faster than straight-up encoding via Quicktime Pro.

I've tried this so far with 4 files that I was unable to play without the pausing/sound drop-out bug cropping up. Since doing this, all 4 have played totally fine all the way through.

Hope this helps someone else.
---

Tim

JMG

asdf
Awesome dude. This should be stickyed because every first time poster will spam the board with the same damn problems about video playback.