Software Recommendations to BackUp/Restore iOS & Files?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

KenithO

Hi,

A friend and I have recently inherited older Apple 32-bit mobile devices that are now not supported.

We would like to use these mobile devices for audio and photography and to date have not had any problems with the installed iOS 6.

Appreciate recommendations concerning software to backup and restore iOS 6 and audio/photo files for these mobile devices. Also both of us are using Windows and have no interest in using iTunes.

Thanks

Ken

cjmnews

Staff member
ITunes is my preferred method, even the current iTunes should still be able to backup and restore iOS 6 devices. There is no reason why you can't run an old version of iTunes if you wanted to. I know you don't have any interest in iTunes, but it had to be said for future readers of this thread.

We have a sponsor Leawo and their software can backup and restore an iPhone from their post: http://forums.ilounge.com/leawo-software/282673-how-backup-your-iphone-7-se-6s-6-5s-5-4s-4-a.html

I have never used this software, so I can't say how it works.

Being a 32 bit iOS, you will eventually run out of apps as they migrate to 64 bit and the 32 bit ones stop getting support. It could work for a while.

KenithO

Hi cjmnews,

Thanks for the Leawo iTransfer link.

iTunes does not work since our interest is audio & video.

From link you provided " music, video and other non-purchased files which are synced from computer won’t be backed up in iTunes or iCloud"

Clarification: there is no mention if it can backup/restore iOS 6?

Ken

cjmnews

Staff member
iOS itself is never backed up by iTunes because you can always use iTunes to reinstall it. And if the hardware is limited to iOS 6, then it will never be upgraded either.

If the hardware is not limited to iOS 6, then iTunes will try to upgrade it when you restore the operating system. Then you just restore offline to prevent iTunes from downloading the new version.

iTunes handles audio and video. That is the purpose of it. Especially in the later versions when they removed the apps from iTunes.

I doubt Leawo would back up iOS either. That is the job of Apple to handle through iTunes. But as stated before I haven't used it. But I will say the statement you quoted is incorrect.

Music and video and other non-purchased files ARE backed up by iTunes and iCloud. Purchased items are not, because they can be restored from iTunes or downloaded from the iTunes store. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428

KenithO

cjmnews,

"...the statement you quoted is incorrect" It was from the forum link you provided.

Beginners Clarification: "iOS itself is never backed up by iTunes because you can always use iTunes to reinstall it.... If the hardware is not limited to iOS 6, then iTunes will try to upgrade it when you restore the operating system. Then you just restore offline to prevent iTunes from downloading the new version."

These devices can go to iOS 10 but are significantly slower than with iOS 6.

Beginners Question: If try to restore with iTunes offline where does it get iOS 6?

Any Good Beginner Tutorials to explain this?

Thanks

Ken

cjmnews

Staff member
The devices having the ability to run later versions of iOS is what I expected. I can understand needing to stay on iOS6.

I assumed that the devices have upgraded to a version of iOS 6 using iTunes at one time. If that is the case, the IOS version is there on the system. Being offline should enable the restore from the current version of iOS that is available (iTunes can't query that a later iOS is available and download it, erasing the older version).

If you have never updated to a version of iOS 6 with iTunes, then you can't restore. When these phones decide they need to restore (could be 2 years from now) you will not be able to restore without upgrading.

There are no beginner tutorials on this. Apple expects users just to accept their upgrades and move on. This is based on experience. Users don't know that each IOS update is encrypted for the device that is being updated and can't be shared. They don't know that the updates are signed, with a key that gets removed, and if you don't have the signature file with the update, it can't be installed. Apple tries to hide this complexity.

I expect, due to the iTunes avoidance, that you are in the latter boat without an iOS 6 update stored locally in iTunes for each device. Which means you are on borrowed time, as the devices could decide they refuse to work without a restore at any moment. You might be lucky and get a couple years of use like this.

Too bad there is not a way to backup the operating system with the device.

KenithO

cjmnews,

Forgot to mention in original post that the Apple 32-bit mobile devices had been in long term storage before we inherited them. Also by that time the original iTunes and computers had already been recycled.

Will add while I am new to Apple 32-bit mobile devices and iOS have been using Android OS for a while and it is so much easier to restore the OS.

Seems only hope is for 3rd party software.

Since Apple 32-bit mobile devices that are now not supported I hope some smart individuals will port an open OS or make it easier to keep older iOS running on these devices.

Appreciate any comments or links to individuals trying to do this.

Thanks again for your detailed explanations and all your help!!!

Ken

cjmnews

Staff member
The design of the iPhone prevents user updates to the OS. Unless you jailbreak it, it is a black box.

There is no OS you can add to it. Jailbreak can also make it less stable. I had to restore 3x more when jailbreak was on, than when I had it with stock iOS.