Software Reccomendations?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
I got my brother an iPod Mini for Christmas. Before Christmas, I want everything to be ready for him to use the iPod. The problem is that we both share a computer, and iTunes only lets you use one iPod per computer. So I need a program to remedy this problem, and it has to meet these expectations:

- Allows the use of multiple iPods on 1 computer
- Allows you to take songs from the iPod and copy it to the computer
- Does not void the warranty - I bought an extended warranty from The Sharper Image

A free program would be ideal. I've read a bunch of threads about certain programs bricking iPods. I really don't want to give my brother an iPod Mini and then brick it when we put songs on it. That wouldn't be cool.

Last edited:

Galley

Website
www.galleytech.com
MattPaintballer said:
no it wont
From the iLounge FAQ:
Is it possible to use multiple iPods on the same computer?
12.24.03 | iPod Usage | tell-a-friend

Yes, and you have several options:

1) Both users share the same (Windows or Mac) login account, and thus the same iTunes Library.

For this option, the auto sync feature must be turned off for both participating iPods, but may be the wiser method if both users have similar tastes. To do this in iTunes (Mac or Windows), mount one iPod and click on the iPod Preferences button in the lower right corner of the window, then select either ‘Automatically update selected plyalists only’ or ‘Manually manage songs and playlists.’ This will deselect ‘Automatically update all songs and playlists’ so you can now sync to multiple iPods. Now, you must either manually load each iPod, or automatically sync to only a select number of playlists.

2) Users each have a distinct (Windows or Mac) login account, and thus do not share an iTunes library.

When multiple users on a computer, each with their own iPod, each have their own login account, their iTunes libraries are completely distinct. In this situation, the iPods can automatically sync their entire respective libraries (as is the default setting). However, if both users have similar tastes in music, they may find unnecessary desktop hard drive space being wasted, as each distinct iTunes library will have separate copies of identical songs.

Choose the method that suits your situation best.

Nickster

GODZILLA!!!111oneone
Website
thenickster.net
My computer runs fine with multiple ipods. My friends come and sync their ipods to my computer, my brother syncs his to mine, and my sisters sync their to mine as well.

That's 7 ipods and they are all using the same iTunes, and the same user account. I think it could be your computer.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
It could be that different iPODs/firmware are not quite compatible with the version of iTune used.

It could be the USB port is not putting enough power (use an USB hub).

But obviously this works, so either the above, or s'thing pecuriar with that 'puter.

ericboo

I have used about 8 different iPods on my Windows XP based computer without any problems. I use Podplus to transfer songs off the iPod as well as being able to temporarily disable Itunes auto-sync in case that feature is needed.

What OS are you running? Sometimes you need to reboot your machine after it finds the "new" device. Another option is trying to use each iPod on a different usb port.