So, which case?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

astroman33

Kudos! Big kudos to iLounge for its extensive review. Without a doubt, this web site is one of the premier ones on the net for its careful, balanced, & thoughtful analyses of product.

Having said that, and having read through the review, I'm still in a quandary! ;)

I was originally tempted by the Apple case; the flip biz, display stand is a smart idea. And it showcases the iPad itself. But then the negatives started pouring in. So, I started looking.

Thus, the review here was timely. I really like the idea of a clamshell type case, but do not like the grey look or a case that covers up too much of the front of the iPad. That EcoVue looks dorky. The SGP is too much $, plus I wouldn't buy something made out of an animal. That Hard Candy would save electricity as it glows so brightly! The sight of a zipper near the screen, though, makes me shiver! Who could ever buy something by a company or a product with "Acme" in it? I have expect Road Runner to zip through and the Coyote to blow it up! Plus, the diagonal straps really ruin the aesthetics of the iPad. What were they thinking?

I'm back to considering the Apple case, but I better sit on this for a bit and re-read the full review in the morning! (Especially as I would make a CSI team's work easy! :) As a user of hand cream, I'm sure my fingers would make a mess of that case!)

Any ideas, suggestions, or decisions would be a big help?

Badgun

I love the Apple case. It's sturdy, provides very adequate protection, and easily adapts to easel mode for video viewing or inclined mode for typing. It looks like most cases are near $40 anyway, so you may as well spring for a good one.

kornchild2002

I went with the Apple case as, at the time, it was the only one that fully protected the back, sides, and front of the iPad all while providing an easy conversion for watching videos and typing out some quick notes. I can use the iPad in a series of different positions with the official Apple case while others require a separate stand or don't even offer a front cover.

I am waiting to see what iSkin does though. The iPod and iPod touch cases have never let me down and I am sure they are thinking of something for the iPad. Either way, you are going to spend about $40 for a good case. There are cheap (and I mean cheap, not inexpensive) slip covers, silicone cases, etc. but they just can't compete with most cases that are $40 a higher. The more expensive are often made of much better materials while providing more protection and more features (as in the ability to use the iPad in different positions).

Painkiller

I bought the one from Zcover. Excellent rubberized sides n back, with removable hardshell screen protector, that snaps on back when not in use. Couldn't be happier with it.

Chimera

I ended up ordering the M-Edge Executive case because I got an Amazon gift card and could order it through them. I should have it in a few days. A guy at work has the official Apple case, and it's quite nice but really showed a lot of dirt and fingerprints.

kornchild2002

Yes. I have sort of scratched my case, had some dust on it, fingerprints, lint, and a couple of other things. It all easily came off with a moist towel.

Chimera

I've had my M-Edge Executive case for about a week now and I love it. It's a bit more bulky than the Apple case but it keeps the iPad well protected, and it looks great.

DownSized

I've been lurking here for a while, but here is my take:

I bought a targus "netbook" case, just because that is all that I could find locally. (IMHO) Junk. Way too thick, too bulky, and just plain lacking.

I ordered the Apple case. Spendy, but I like it a lot. It's thin, lightweight and affords resonable screen portection.
One of it's nicest features (IMHO) is that it is "rubberized" in that it offers a somewhat "tacky" surface which makes it much easier to carry the iPad.
As for stands, I found a wire stand for holding plates (or whatever) in Johannes Fabrics that cost me a whopping $2.99, and it works great, either upright, or landscape!
Today, I received a bag from ebags made by stm that is expressly made for the iPad, and it is simply outstanding! Although it is a tight fit, my iPad (in the Apple case) fit into it just fine. (They call it their "jacket-ipad") It has a handle, as well as a removable shoulder strap, and three external pockets.

For $25 I am delighted!

For what it's worth...I learned of both the wire stand and the STM case while lurking here. (Well...the wire stand I found only because the the plastic folding "easel" was not in stock at my local Johannes), but I actually think that the wire stand is better...it will not fold for travel, but it works great on my desktop!

I want to thank you all for the great info that I have gathered here!

glen e

Xgear leather carbon fiber case - identical in make up to the apple case but does not get as dirty...excellent case, classier looking

dachs99

I love the Apple case. It's sturdy, provides very adequate protection, and easily adapts to easel mode for video viewing or inclined mode for typing. It looks like most cases are near $40 anyway, so you may as well spring for a good one.
I bought the Apple Case and it is great. Many comments on it.

Leif_Pederson

M-Edge Trip Jacket and others

I pre-ordered an M-Edge Trip Jacket based on preliminary reviews of the product by editors before it was generally available. I received it two weeks ago or so.

I wanted something that was lightweight, convenient and would protect the iPad when it's in a bag or briefcase. And something that would allow me to read the screen like a book.

I like the Trip Jacket except for one (MAJOR) thing. This one thing caused me to buy a Marware Eco-View instead. The corner straps of the Trip Jacket are elastic and on the upper right, it covers the portrait/landscape mode lock switch on the iPad. It's a small slide switch above the up/down volume control. The slide switch raised portion has sharp corners. To move the switch when the iPad is in the Trip Jacket you either have to stretch out the elastic and get under it, or use a fingernail on top of the elastic to find the sharp corner of the switch and slide it. Either way, it is very annoying and will lead to premature wear or failure of that corner strap.

This could be fixed by moving the attach point of the upper corner straps down by about 1/8" along the right (and to be symmetric, left) edge of the iPad. If it covers the up/down volume control, that's fine since this control is just a push/rocker switch. If this strap was moved, I believe this would be the perfect iPad case.

I mentioned this to M-Edge and got a reply that they have no plans to make a design change, but if I want to return the product, they gave me instructions on how to do that. And I will do that.

Buy the Marware Eco-Vue instead.

Leif Pederson

Chimera

The executive has the same elastic corner straps, but I never use the rotation lock switch so it doesn't bother me. I don't see it failing any time soon.

Leif_Pederson

Yes, I should have clarified. If you don't need to use the landscape/portrait locking switch very often, then the M-Edge product is great.

I'll often read in bed and lay on my side in which case the iPad needs to be locked in the right orientation. Or if the iPad is on a flat surface, it can get confused which way is up. I find that happens a lot especially since the M-Edge product does not have a flap that allows the iPad to be tilted up when it's on a desk or table.

Leif

russgiro88

iObsessed
Xgear leather carbon fiber case - identical in make up to the apple case but does not get as dirty...excellent case, classier looking
I'm looking at this one as well. Have you had any trouble with the iPad popping out of place? It doesn't look like there is much holding it in the case.

glen e

I'm looking at this one as well. Have you had any trouble with the iPad popping out of place? It doesn't look like there is much holding it in the case.
no - the 4 corners click the unit in place....