• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

So glad I'm not in high school anymore...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

skruggie

I was surfing around last night and I came upon my old high school's website. On the front page was a notice to parents that cell phones and ipods are not allowed in school, and if students are caught with them on school grounds they will be taken away and a parent will have to come to school to retrieve it.

Geez! Strict enough? When I was in high school we carried walkman's around - the kind with cassettes, well before cd's were portable. I can't even imagine being told what I can and can't carry on my own person to wherever I want to.

I remember high school as being restrictive but not THAT restrictive...or maybe it's just been a really long time:)

But anyway the one thing I did notice about that bulliten was that it specifically singled out ipods and not music players in general. I found that to be very interesting....

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
I carry my phone and iPod around. As long as I don't use it in lessons, no one cares. It's a fair trade off IMO.

turkeysix

We're allowed to have cell phones, they just have to be turned off during school hours. If you get caught, your parents have to come pick it up after school.

As for music players, they're also allowed. I see quite a few people listening to them during classes, in the hallways, during lunch, etc.

But yeah. That's rather odd they singled out iPod's.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
Yeah they probably lumped them together. My middle school (of which I will never see again) has banned "walkmen". That means any non-Sony product is a-ok.

kinda0punk

Website
kinda0punk.livejournal.com
MadPict said:
Maybe they have probably just lumped all DAPs into a category called iPods?
Most likely. My (old) school, a middle school, allowed us to have them but they were "Not to be seen in the hallways" but could be used before/after school. Second day I had my iRiver I had it confiscated for listening to it during lunch! I didn't even know I couldn't! The reason was "In case a fire alarm goes off, you may not be able to hear it" wtf? No, I would continue to sit there, jamming out and eating my sandwich while everyone else ran out of the cafeteria. Noooo, I would never notice that. And then when I went to pick it up from the dean that afternoon, I was pretty darn close to furious to be told that they had tried to figure turn it on! (But they couldn't, thank god. thats the one thing that stopped me from blowing up)

I apologized profusely (didn't mean it though) saying "I'm sorry, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to listen to it during lunch" to which I got the reply "it's okay, how could you have known?" SO they admit they never said I couldnt. On what grounds can they take it away?!? High school next year, I'm mgoing to be very careful now that I ahve an ipod, and find out when I can and can't listen. I do not want a replay of this

rooster

Oberon Drinker
i guess my school was pretty easy on us listening to these stories. i had a cd player(this is before ipods were out) that i listened to about 90% of the day in school. the only time i wasnt listening to it was durring a lecture. now that im in college its on almost 100% of the time. i dont even bother listening to the lectures all the classes i take are crap i already know so i just do the homework and repots and pass with ease. not like the teacher can say much about me listening to it durring his/her lecture. i paid to be there. whether i want to listen it the speech is my perogitive.

BaMaFeVeR

B-A-M-A Roll Tide Roll!
man, i've gotten my phone taken up at an afterschool event i was helping out with. They're really cracking down on everything, especially with our new principal.

FeelTheFire

my high school's rule was this: no HEADPHONES in any academic space (this included the library, gym, any offices, any and all classrooms, and other "designated" academic spaces).

Started a ruckus because there should be absolutely no reason we can't listen to music in a study hall if it's not bothering anyone else. Some teachers allowed it, some still didn't.

we wouldn't have them taken away, we'd just be told to take the headphones off and turn the player off. Only if you fought the warning would you get punished.

As for cell phones, we weren't supposed to have them on during the day, but we all did. Most teachers wouldn't care, but some higher power save you if you were on the phone or the phone rang in the middle of class. I am guilty of playing games on my cell phone during extremely dry shakespeare lectures. It happens.

There were too many students at my high school to seriously attempt to enforce any real rules. It was a nice effort, though...

iSoldier17

Everyone in my school listens to MP3 players and plays games on Gameboys and DS's. Some have even gone to the extent to find a hooded sweatshirt, attach the MP3 player in the pocket, make a hole in it, run the wire through the fabric and have the earphones come out in the hood. It's not really 'going to an extent' but it's pretty useless.

We are allowed to have cell phones but they can't be on during school. One time I was by my locker and using my friend's cell to call my parents to inform them of a football game and a teacher told me to talk on it outside. Once I exit the main door it is fine. What's the reasoning for that?

Also, One girl would play her game boy advance sp behind her purse and she got it taken away and had to stay after school. haha.

Photonicspartan

Music To Your Ears
Website
www.xanga.com
At our school we are allowed to have them we just can't use them in class, or between classes. Before and after school, we are allowed to use them all we want. I almost lost my mini in english because the kid next to me had a 20 gig ipod and he asked to see mine, he was looking at mine when the teacher began to walk back cause she saw him and I was like "Cough..Cough!" and he looked up and he put my mini in his pocket and pulled out his ipod, then when she turned around to walk away he threw my mini back to me. very slick.

ZPWeeks

Deadhead Lounger
Website
www.ZekeWeeks.com
I see them all over my 1900-person high school campus... But people don't really listen in class much at all. Then again, I'm lucky, and take classes where people are actually there because they want to learn, but still.
I even listen *in* class sometimes, like when everyone's working on their own and I don't need to pay attention to something... It helps me to isolate all of the rambunctious teen crap and just get my work done.
And then there was the case of my horrible english class last year... Having very long hair, I can't exactly say that my teacher noticed me with one earbud in. That class was an extreme case of boredom, though, and I still listened through the other ear just in case I missed something important (I didn't :D )

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
My daughters school allows both, but they can not be used durring class. If your cell phone rings, it gets taken. They can use them between classes and durring lunch. DAPs are allowed and they can listen to them during study periods and in the library, but not durring class.

I have no issues with the OPs old highschools rules though...

neb

In this country there is very little opportunity to use electronic devices during school hours. Your time is taken up by lessons, or break times. Obviously in lessons a DAP or mobile phone is going to be hard to conceal and use at the same times. During break times I was always playing football (with a round ball). I didn't have the need to listen to music or phone someone.

However, looking back, I was not really interested in music at this age - or not at the stage where I feel I have to listen to 3 albums a day (current ratio). I did not have to phone anyone, after all, all my friends were with me playing football. How has the world changed? What's resulted in us needing to be in contact with one another throughout the day? I can think of plenty of times that I'd rather not have a mobile phone with me.

The schooling in N. America (not sure about the rest of the world) is far more open. You have free periods here and there, personal study sessions, more work to be getting on with. In this country your in lessons all the time apart from your break times, there is simply no opportunity to be doing anything else. The end result? No gadgets at school, but not because they've been banned.

whymillywhy

Almost Jesus
Well, at our school, you can have cell phones and DAP's in school BUT, you can't use them, but people do get away with it by hiding it in their coat and such, my friends and I have also been known for hiding our cellphones in our laps and calling someone else in the class to get their phone taken away. Lots of fun. I did take my iPod to school every day just incase we had to go on a bus somewhere or in case I was bored in some class where I could have it (I played games in studyhall, I hid the ipod) I did get kind of close to getting it taken away a few times, one time in particular, I was in a class and I forgot to put on the hold switch and I left my headphones in and my ipod started playing, but luckily, it was in a class where the teacher was kinda dumb and the only thing he has on his mind was football, so I did get away with it :D

Oh yeah, I did get to have it in computer class when we were keyboarding that I used my playlists for, the funny thing was, my friend who bought an ipod mini to be "cool" would always bring his which had like 10 songs on it, then he's always stop to change songs and stuff, then he'd ask me to put songs on his ipod afterword, and asked if I wanted to buy it, I said Id give him 150 for it, and he said he spent over 300 for it with all the accessories he got with it, and all he had was the stock ones....

skruggie

neb said:

However, looking back, I was not really interested in music at this age - or not at the stage where I feel I have to listen to 3 albums a day (current ratio). I did not have to phone anyone, after all, all my friends were with me playing football. How has the world changed? What's resulted in us needing to be in contact with one another throughout the day? I can think of plenty of times that I'd rather not have a mobile phone with me.

I was incredibly into music at that age, it was in my high school years that I first became passionate about music. After college I weaned off music somewhat until getting my first ipod a year ago and having that passion reawakened.

I now have just about every song I ever listened to as a teen on my ipod, it's so cool to have that retro music at my disposal.

In regards to my former high school, I think its a theft/safety issue more than about what you shouldn't be doing in class. From what I hear, the school I went to has really gone downhill in regards to crime and violence. A completely different school than the one I graduated from. And considering that I am from Queens NY, the murder in Brooklyn might have had something to do with this as well.

skateboarderx24

Alternative Fuel Advocate
Website
www.schumanautomotive.com
their are some classes that we can listen to Dap's in because the teacher allows it. but im too busy in engineering measuring and having to communicate with others on what they need and what i need to build the part or w/e.. but my school forces all students to take a business skills class in which you sit in a room for 90 minutes and type and use the microsoft office junk

i think i already know how to use office and how to type without looking at the keys.

but i get to listen to my ipod for the whole 90 mintes