SMS Usage Poll

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

How much SMS do you do?

• Not at all.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Occasionally (a few per week).

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Regularly (a few a day).

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Heavily (lots more than that).

Votes: 17 29.3%

• Total voters

daihard

I am just wondering how my fellow iPhone users utilize SMS. I myself don't use it at all. My monthly plan doesn't even include SMS. Neither does any of my close friends. OTOH, SMS seems to be a fairly popular method of exchanging information quickly. So here's my poll about SMS usage among the iPhone users...

TheMBC

Website
www.phonesocial.net
A few a week, if I really need to. Usually I can just sign on AIM or Palringo if I need to tell someone something instantly. Honestly, I don't even understand why SMS exists anymore (I mean I understand, but...), I think if all emails had true push that SMS would be obsolete, because in essence Email is "free" with an unlimited data plan or any internet plan, really.

SMS is ridiculously over-priced.

hardcle

I haven't received one since the last one AT&T sent when I set up online billing. I've never sent one. SMS doesn't seem necessary to me with email on the phone. When I bought my phone and I told the Apple Store employee I didn't want a text message plan, he congratulated me. I guess he didn't care for SMS either.

Zex

SMS is heavily used in Europe, where teenagers use it lot. SMS's are very cheap and plans are usually very, very expensive in terms of voice calls. Some plans include something like 500 sms per week (!).

iPhone Luver

I understand what you guys are talking about email being free and unlimited data plans to go with that, but everyone doesn't have their phone setup to recieve email and most won't either bother. If there is something that is already setup in place via SMS then that is what they are going to use.

kyussmondo

I use it heavily. Fact is that most people do use SMS still. It depends on the age group too. Maybe people would use email more if it didn't cost people a fortune for data. I prefer calling people to be honest. However text is still convenient because you don't have to reply immediately.

A lot of contracts in the UK have unlimited texts, plus at 10p a text it doesn't seem much on the face of things.

Last edited:

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
I use email VERY heavily for sending text messages to my friends. Even when they respond, it comes back to my email address. There are however, instances where I am not sure if the person will get the message and be able to write back, or that they even know who it came from. In those instances I will just use regular SMS, cause it is sure to get to the person no matter what carrier they use, and it will get there immediately. I used SMS on by-the-message basis, but it is just too expensive in the US at $.40 a message to be doing that - almost $1 for a single question and response? Give me a break.

But anyways, Kyussmondo, here in the US the data plan is unlimited for the iphone so email data caps are not an issue. It is also nice to get the messages if you happen to use a computer at all in the near future.

Email is my primary method of contacting anyone.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
I use SMS with my kids and wife regularly bordering on heavy.

My AT&T plan includes unlimited data (including e-mail) and SMS so I am not worried about it. Since the iPhone doesn't do MMS, I use e-mail to send MMS to other peoples cell phones when needed but still use SMS for most chats.

tcj

Website
www.knownjohnson.com
daihard said:
I am just wondering how my fellow iPhone users utilize SMS. I myself don't use it at all. My monthly plan doesn't even include SMS. Neither does any of my close friends. OTOH, SMS seems to be a fairly popular method of exchanging information quickly. So here's my poll about SMS usage among the iPhone users...
Another great question would be the age group using SMS. I'm 35. I have absolutely zero interest in texting anyone and don't want to be texted myself - I don't want to pay for what I didn't request in the first place. I want the service turned off entirely on my Iphone. I'd be curious what age group does find this service useful/fun. I have a hunch it is those who "grew up" with it, unlike me, who never even bothered with it until now - I literally never sent one until last week when I tried to get someone to stop sending unwanted crap to me. Or maybe I'm a freak and everyone else uses it, regardless of age. I'd like to know.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
tcj said:
Another great question would be the age group using SMS. I'm 35. I have absolutely zero interest in texting anyone and don't want to be texted myself - I don't want to pay for what I didn't request in the first place. I want the service turned off entirely on my Iphone. I'd be curious what age group does find this service useful/fun. I have a hunch it is those who "grew up" with it, unlike me, who never even bothered with it until now - I literally never sent one until last week when I tried to get someone to stop sending unwanted crap to me. Or maybe I'm a freak and everyone else uses it, regardless of age. I'd like to know.

I'm in my 40s and use text quite a bit with my kids, my wife and my co-workers. I started using text when my oldest got her first cell phone about 5 years ago and have not stopped since.

Dim

Website
www.lemires.com
tcj said:
I'm sure the higher percentage of people using it heavily are the younger group who "grew up" with it. Still, if you're the type who adapts to popular usage patterns (like myself), then you can be a heavy user at any age. I only use it several times a week, mostly because a couple of my friends use it, who are also around my age (35).

Ash2097

In the UK that's how everyone communicate's I use around 500 a month most my friend's do atleast 500 i know some people that use over 2000 a month. Even my mum text's a few times a day and she's 50.

daihard

Lots of useful and insightful information! Thanks guys.

I have exchanged a couple of SMS's with a friend to see how it works. It sure is a lot less cumbersome than full-fledged e-mail. I should definitely explore it more... just that hardly anyone around me uses it. :(

blazew0n

honestly I love it. Only reason at this point I would start to use email more often is for mms.

daihard

blazew0n said:
honestly I love it. Only reason at this point I would start to use email more often is for mms.
I've seen a few posters mention "MMS." What is MMS? How is it different than SMS and e-mail?

kyussmondo

deftdrummer1. We also have unlimited data in the UK with better 3G coverage plus we have unlimited free access to thousands of wifi hotspots around the country. I would happily use email, but few people I talk to have email on their phone or it is just to expensive for them to use. The only other way I can stay in contact is facebook, myspace or bebo, but even that is hit and miss because data is still expensive unless you get unlimited.

Fact is that text usage over here is a lot higher. If a contract doesn't have 500 or more texts a month here then it may as well not bother at all. 10p for a text or £1 for a MB of data? I know which I and many others would choose anyday.

AT&T screwed you guys.

Last edited:

hardcle

kyussmondo said:
Fact is that text usage over here is a lot higher. If a contract doesn't have 500 or more texts a month here then it may as well not bother at all. 10p for a text or £1 for a MB of data? I know which I and many others would choose anyday.

AT&T screwed you guys.
A text message is 140 bytes. At 10p each you're paying £748.98/MB. Who's getting screwed?

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
I think there are a few misconceptions floating around here.

SMS/Text is used very heavily here in the US, but it is used more heavily in some areas of the country than others. Anyone who thinks that teens here in the US don't live by SMS is deluding themselves and probably doesn't know a teen. My oldest has 5000 texts/month outside of Verizon (unlimited within) and used 7000 last month. It's everywhere and teens are the prime users. An over the limit text is US $0.10 each. Do the math and tell me text is not big in the US.

The population of the US is significantly higher than that of the UK. While statistically usage may be lower, there are likely to be significantly more users in the US simply based on population. Then again, there could be more users statistically and based on population. I have no numbers to back any of this up it is all simply based on watching my cell bill for the last several years and talking to other parents of teens. Anyone who wants to look this sot of thing up, feel free to post the results.

I did find this:

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=890.

but it doesn't really answer the question.

daihard said:
I've seen a few posters mention "MMS." What is MMS? How is it different than SMS and e-mail?
MMS is basically a Multi-Media SMS. It can contain a picture, video, or sound along with text.

Last edited:

daihard

baggss said:
MMS is basically a Multi-Media SMS. It can contain a picture, video, or sound along with text.
Thanks! Now, from what I've gathered, iPhone does not support MMS. Am I correct?

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
daihard said:
Thanks! Now, from what I've gathered, iPhone does not support MMS. Am I correct?
Correct. Lots of folks are upset by that, but you can send MMS messages to someone's phone via e-mail and they will never know the difference. There is a thread about sending MMS in this forum that explains it all.