Smartplaylists not updating with sync

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

decafjava

ot sure if this is an iOS problem or MacOS. I have a fair amount of ripped and purchased music (downloaded mostly from iTunes) and have also setup smartplaylists. Problem is when syncing the playlists do not update correctly between my iPhone and Mac.

cjmnews

Staff member
We have seen how smart playlists have been largely ignored by Apple, and they are becoming less relevant as Apple's Podcast, Books, and Video apps refuse to acknowledge that there are smart playlists and don't use them. I honestly expect the Music App to be updated in the next 2 years removing smart playlists from that too. Making them useless.

Until that happens, let's look at your issue. First off iOS syncing with iTunes has not been great with smart playlists. The last several years I have to sync once to get the statistics copied from the device into iTunes. This allows the smart playlists to update, but they don't update before the sync is complete. So you have to sync a second time to get the updates into the iOS based device.

There was also an update mid iTunes 11 that required that some smart playlists to be edited, no change made, and saved to start working again. Hopefully you have done that by now. It gets really confusing when it is a nested smart playlist that isn't working. I don't recall the details at the moment. If you really want to know, I can see if I can dig that up.

What is the issue you are seeing exactly?
What rule seems to be ignored.?

If you can describe the issue, I can try to reproduce it and see if there is a fix or workaround.

decafjava

Thanks for looking at this cjm, been bugging me about an otherwise good upgrade.

My setup is pretty straight forward. I have a master playlist called say "Jazz and Blues" with all the music I choose of that genre added (manually I might add no filtering) up to a severl hundred or so. I then have another called "Jazz and blues DJ", the following criteria all are true; song is from playlist "Jazz and Blues", song is last played not in the last two weeks, song is skipped not in last week, and checked are "limit to 25 items selected at random", match only selected items and live updating.

So say I play the first 6 songs on my commute on my iPhone. I come home and normally when I sink the first 6 songs on the list are gone and six more songs come in on the bottom, same on the Mac music app. Except while the rest of the 25 pieces are the same and the same order for both Mac and iPhone - the new replacement songs are different on the bottom of both. Works both ways it seems. Not sure what is wrong here.

It really is too bad, Apple has implemented the concept in a clever way elsewhere, for example there are many tutorials on youtube on how to use the smart album feature in MacOS photos to organize your photo albums.

cjmnews

Staff member
Some followup questions:
Is the Jazz and Blues playlist also on the iPhone with the Jazz and Blues DJ playlist?
Are the 6 songs at the bottom of the Jazz and Blues DJ playlist different before you sync than after?

decafjava

Yes, both are on my iPhone and live updating is turned on in the Mac Music app. The bottom 6 songs are changed but different on the iPhone and the Mac.

cjmnews

Staff member
When I tried with only the limited playlist on the iPhone, the playlists did sync the first time and were identical. Skip tracking was not as accurate as I was hoping, it seemed I had to wait a while between the skip and the sync to have the playlist detect the skip was within the week (immediate sync seemed to not detect the skip)

Now my smart playlist was made per your rules above, selected at random. So when songs are replaced they do not necessarily appear at the bottom. Are you sorting your playlist by recently played date? This probably has nothing to do with the issue, I thought I would check.

cjmnews

Staff member
With both lists on the iPhone, I was expecting the list to be updated while I played. That is how my audio book playlists worked (though now I have to make them Music to use the smart playlists) and was surprised the exiting the playlist and returning did not update it when all the supporting playlists were on the device.

The skip was not detected at all.

After the sync they were identical. I did change the sort so the oldest stuff is on top.

My playlists are nested in folders: My Playlists->Car->Test (source) and My Playlists->Car->Test2 (smart)

Rules are:
Match music for all the following rules
Playlist is Test
Last Played is not in the last 2 weeks
Last Skipped is not in the last 1 week
Limit to 25 items selected by random
Match only checked items (checked)
Live updating (checked)