Smart playlist orphaned files

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
I hope someone can answer this, I've tried searching already.
I have a smart playlist synced to my iPhone. Its 10 unwatched movies selected at random.
If I change the playlist to 5 movies and sync almost 10 are still on my phone. Shouldn't there only be the 5 left in the playlist?
Thanks

cjmnews

Staff member
There are a couple of items here.

One is sync settings, one is the slow death of smart playlists.

The sync settings are in iTunes when you connect your phone, click on it's button and go to the Video section. If the setting here is to sync all unwatched, or 10 least recent unwatched, then iTunes is syncing what it is told to sync. The playlist may only show 5, but the sync setting will bring more.

Smart playlist syncing is not as good as it was. You may have to sync twice to get the results to happen. The first sync gets the updated rules and media playback information. The second sync applies the rules to the updated information and updates the playlist.

Thanks. You've answered something else I've wondered about which is why I have to sync twice.
The smart playlist is always synced to my phone, I just change the number of movies depending how much free space I have.
I started with 10 movies and had 10 synced over, but when I changed the playlist to 5 I expected to be left with 5 on my phone, not 10.

Another point regarding what you said the settings in the movie section. That's switched off at the top where you can select those options, it's only at the bottom of that section I've ticked the smart playlist.

cjmnews

Staff member
Hmm, is it the smart playlist that has all these movies or is the higher than expect count on the phone outside of the playlist?

The playlist had 10 movies and put 10 movies on the phone, I changed the playlist to 5 movies but 10 remain on the phone

cjmnews

Staff member
In the playlist or out of the playlist?
Editing the playlist where? iTunes or the iPhone?

cjmnews

Staff member
And you sync twice?

The first time gets the stats from the phone into iTunes. When this is done, verify the list in iTunes is still 5.
The second one will get the updates from iTunes onto the phone. This should remove the 5 videos from the playlist in the phone.

Yes. To be honest this is after syncing several times over several days.
Maybe this is another to add to my long list of bugs to report to Apple.
I'm already talking to one of their advisors at the moment about 3 issues, I jokingly said I'd save the rest for someone else.

cjmnews

Staff member
If I have time this weekend I'll try this. Report out the results.

cjmnews

Staff member
It works fine with 1 sync for me. Checking phone contents using iTunes.

How are you looking at the playlist contents?

Thanks for checking that.
On iTunes I view the playlist from the left hand side under Films and it shows 5 movies.
If I go to the TV app on my phone and select Downloaded there's 10 movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjmnews

Staff member
Still seeing the right behavior using the TV app (I uninstalled it when it was called Videos on a 16GB iPhone, have 256GB now). Though I had to go to Library->Home Videos.

How about tag differences? You keep saying movies is that what these are tagged with for Media Kind?
What about size differences? The videos I am using 25 minute long videos.
What about quality differences? Mine are Standard Definition.
IOS versions? I am on 11.4.

Just trying to figure out why the difference exists.

On the TV app mine are Downloaded -> Films. Also when I say movies I really mean films, it's just films isn't normally a word I use.

I haven't changed any tagging or other metainfo on any of the files or items in the iTunes library.

The sizes can vary, these are all films purchased through iTunes and they are all HD.

I'm running iOS 11.4.

Thanks.

cjmnews

Staff member
I must have something to do with purchased files. Mine are not purchased. I don't buy movies from Apple.

They must be retained for efficiency or something. I have seen similar behavior with music played while connected with Wifi and I don't have the songs downloaded.

Does removing the playlist from your phone, sync, re-add and sync work?

I believe that removing the playlist from the sync leaves all the films on my phone but I'll check that later when I'm back from work.

Thanks again.

Sorry I haven't managed to try this yet, I've had a couple of late nights at work. Hopefully by this time tomorrow I will have done it.

I tried changing the playlist from 5 films to 3 then unselecting it from sync. After clicking Apply then Sync all 5 films are still on my phone.
Interestingly, the On My Device film section is empty but Settings -> General -> Storage shows all 5 films on the phone.

Last edited: