smart playlist mystery

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

antiditz

I've got a smart playlist for "recently added" tracks, set to items added within the past 14 days. Something funky's going on - in itunes, that list has 53 song, but I noticed on my ipod (this is after syncing -- I'm not a complete nincompoop :p ) that same playlist has 169 songs, some of which have been there since day one (better than a year ago).

Any ideas as to how something like this happens?

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
What level iPod do you have? Is the date in your iPod set correctly?

There was a bug, way back when the 3rd gen had first come out and with the iTunes at that point that when syncing the iPod the "date added" information on the iPod was always the date of the sync and not the date added to iTunes so these playlists were always different in iTunes versus the iPod.

Plug in your iPod and make sure you can view date added and scroll through the songs to see what their date added is. Compare to the library in iTunes.

To fix it, you may need to restore and resync the iPod to get the right "Date added" to the iPod.

Stuart

antiditz

I tried resetting the ipod, but the problem persists. It seems to me that the ipod confuses "date modified" with "date added."

if this is a known problem for 3rd gen. ipods (I have a 20GB 3rd gen-er), does apple offer any fixes? or anyone out there in cyberland know of one?

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
I know this sounds like a drastic thing but to fix this I had to RESTORE, not reset. After the restore I resynced the songs and all was back to normal on the basic date added to the iTunes library. It was a fix somewhere in the middle of iPod software 2.1 and one of the 4.x iTunes updates, though not advertised specifically.

This worked for me. Your mileage may very I suppose.

antiditz

disclaimer: excuse my ignorance. :eek:

restoring as opposed to resetting - i'm not sure which is which. what i did is press both menu and play buttons for several seconds until the apple icon appeared. if this is resetting the ipod, like you said, it did not solve my problem. if this is restore, it also did not solve my problem.

likely as not, that's not how to restore. how would one go about taking this "drastic" measure?

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Right that is a reset.

Here is the article that explains restoring an iPod: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983

This erases the hard drive and reformats the drive. You can then resync to the library and the appropriate dates should now be associated with your iPod. At least they should, if you are indeed having the same problem that I did.

Only do this if all of your music resides in the iTunes library. Make sure you back up any files you may have saved on the hard drive as a whole.

Good luck,
Stuart

antiditz

thanks for your help, Stu. I did the restore - it worked okay, but guess what?

Now ALL my tracks are in the "recently added" playlist. :confused:
Maybe I'll call Apple's tech support. Prepared to remain on hold....