Sm. Playlist - Random albums possible?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

floepie

Is there a way to construct a smart playlist that would have a size (GB) limit of randomly selected whole albums?

Say I want 4 GB's worth of music transfered to ipod by means of a playlist, but I don't want to have to have any of the albums in that playlist to be broken up, i.e. missing tracks within each album.

Is that possible to do?

Last edited:

Code Monkey

floepie said:
I guess not?
Correct. Although most of the code clearly exists - the shuffle mode has had the option of shuffling by album since at least early 2004 - Apple still can't be arsed to add the same functionality to smartlists.

Although it could be deliberately dragging their heels on something that's been requested for years, this could have more to do with my personal suspicion:
The smartlist system of iTunes is amazing, it blows everybody else's out of the water. It also has not been overhalued significantly since iTunes 4.0. Without fail, almost every addition to the smartlist system since then has been buggy, flawed, and half-arsed (e.g. podcast flags). Some things eventually had the kinks worked out (e.g. skip flag), others are still broken even after major revisions to iTunes (e.g. podcast and video flags). I think the person or persons who wrote it aren't working on the iTunes project anymore and nobody since then has spent the time necessary to understand their code. Considering that it's really the only unique feature the iPod or iTunes has, you'd think they'd make it more of a priority.