Slow to display video titles

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

musichound

My 64GB iPod Touch 4G has a minor issue but is annoying me. First off, it has about 90 apps installed, with about 32GB free. Also, it is not jail broken. I noticed when I select the video function, it takes about 5 seconds to display the titles. However, I noticed one on display at a B&M store that the titles showed up almost instantly when it was selected. That Touch had about 30 apps installed. I checked my wife's, daugher's and son's ipod Touch 3Gs, and the video titles also showed up instantly. Coule it be the number of apps I havd installed, or is there some other issue that can be causing this? I tried restoring from backup, but I am getting the same results. Should I restore as a new device instead? Or should I forget about the whole thing?

Website
www.ilounge.com
Have you tried loading the same videos on your other family members' iPods? It's unlikely this has anything to do with the number of apps installed, since most of those won't be running in the background (especially after a restart and/or restore). However, there could be a problem with one or more of the video files themselves that is slowing down the process.

musichound

Thanks, Jesse I will try that. Or, I can temporarily clean out the videos I currently have stored to see if that changes anything.

Last edited:

musichound

I cleared all my videos, cold booted the Touch, but the issue still exists. I am thinking of performing a restore and treat it as a new device instead of restoring from backup. All of my music is derived from CD and is imported to the iTunes library. If treated as a new device, besides losing settings from applications, what other work will I lose?

Website
www.ilounge.com
Interesting. Setting it up as a new device, at least to test it would be a good idea.

You'll lose application settings/data and device preferences, as well as any sync settings (ie, what playlists and apps you have selected for synchronization). Your media content and apps, provided they're in iTunes, can be re-synced in the same way as you would for a brand new device.

Note that you can always try setting it up as a new device, see if the issue persists, and then still restore your backup later.

musichound

Being I will lose the apps, can I check them back on from my iTunes libraryto sync back up again? From what I understand they should still be available.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Yes, you can reinstall the apps from iTunes in the same way as you normally would. You'll just lose the data from those apps -- they'll essentially be installed on your device as if they were brand new.

musichound

Yes, you can reinstall the apps from iTunes in the same way as you normally would. You'll just lose the data from those apps -- they'll essentially be installed on your device as if they were brand new.
Thanks, that's not so bad then. This is the only issue I've ever had with my Touch, so I consider myself lucky. One thing I forgot to mention before is that when I first synced my iPod Touch 4G, I chose to restore from backup of my previous 3G. I am wondering if that had anything to do about it.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Yeah, it's definitely possible that some old cruft from your previous backup is causing issues. This is most commonly a problem for users who have jailbroken in the past, although I've seen cases where it's occurred even in "clean" configurations.

musichound

Yes, the 3G I had was jailbroken but I will refuse to jailbreak my 4G. As long as I do a clean restore, will there be absolutely no trace of the 3G jailbreak?

musichound

Well it just so happened this is still sticking even after a clean restore. This is telling me it could be an app or a setting that is causing this. I am going to restore back to my original backup then uninstall all the apps to see if one of the apps is the culprit.
l.S. Also what wan't mentioned, my Touch is using the latest firmware.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Did you try loading the video files on before loading any apps? It's very unlikely that an app is causing this on a non-jailbroken device as most apps don't run in the background and aren't allowed to mess with your iPod library database.

If you're sill seeing his problem after a full, clean restore and setting up as a new device, it suggests either an odd hardware issue or something in one of your video files that's stuffing it up.

musichound

OK, thanks, I will try a clean restore and not sync any apps or video, just to see if it still stalls. I would be surprised if it's one of the video files because I tried this with no video files before a clean restore and it still took some time to "display" If all else fails, I will leave things the way it is because I can "live" with it. Now that i am thinking of it, there are some apps I have that are supposed to stay active even when not in use, such as Best Alarm Clock I installed. I wonder if this is eating up internal memory. I will try to uninstall those type of apps first. :)

Website
www.ilounge.com
Apps that can run in the background could cause issues, but bear in mind that this is limited to background audio, navigation and VoIP apps and a few apps that are given some time to complete file transfers or other activities after shutting down. Most of these apps don't start up automatically after you've rebooted your device, so if you're still seeing the slow video loading behaviour at that point, then it's unlikely to be an app or memory issue.

Also note that apps like Best Alarm Clock shouldn't actually stay resident -- what they do is register with a local notification service on the device that sounds the alarm at the appropriate time. This is why you can't wake to iPod music unless you actually do leave the app running.

There are apps you can download like iStat that will give you a view of what's actually happening under the hood on your device in terms of memory and processes, but again after a reboot you should have lots of free memory and few processes running.

musichound

Thanks for that information, Jesse. This weekend, I am going to restore my Touch again, but this time I am going to treat it like a new one, and not install music or apps. If it still behaves the same way then I will chalk it up that there is nothing I can do about it.

Jeckler

My 32gb 3rd gen does the same thing. It started with the 4.3 update and still does it on 4.3.1. Not only can it take a few seconds for the video list to display, bringing up the in-video display (pause, back/forward, etc) while watching a show or movie can take a few seconds as well. It hasn't bothered me enough to try and rectify... yet.

musichound

Interesting, so it could be 4.3 doesn't like some of the Touches. I agree, it is not that disturbing to me also because everything else works great. It's just that I am very anal about performance and the least thing off kilter bothers me.

musichound

Well, I did another clean restore, and chose this time to not sync music, apps, or photos. Low and behold, the video selection was as fast as what it should be. So this means it's between the apps and photos that is causing it to slow down. If you recall. previously I unloaded all video files and it was still slow to display, even wiith no video titles to display. Between this week and next week I will first sync sans photos, and if that still doean't work I will then sync sans apps. Between those two methods it will definately let me know what is causing the slowdown.

Jeckler

I performed a DFU restore and setup as new this weekend and noticed a *slight* improvement in displaying titles. Slight as in whatever's faster than a milli-second... slight. It's still 3-5 seconds before titles are displayed. In video seems to be OK now, but it wasn't all the time before anyway, so I shouldn't have even mentioned it. And now I'm continuing to talk about it, which just draws your attention to the sentence before last, with all of you wondering why I even brought it up in the first place.

musichound

It's the music that's slowing it down

I performed another restore today, and once again, chose to restore as a new iPod. I only chose to sync music, no photos, and no apps. The video titles are just as slow in my present configuration. I guess the next thing to do is start out with a small music library, then slowly increase it until it starts to slow down again. My guess is the album artwork might be slowing it down. Almost all my music uses embedded artwork, so probably that's slowing things down. P.S. I presently have 3,783 music files in my library.