'Skits' on albums...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

PHiX

I agree with this 100%. I give all skits a rating of 1 star on my iPod and generate playlists that ignore 1 star songs. The problem with Dilated is that most of the skits are at the end of the songs, but on the same track, so there's no easy way to skip them. So, I went into the settings and changed the "stop" time on these songs so that the track stops playing when the actual song is over.

To continue the topic of skits here, I think we all know them, but especially on hiphop albums it is a rare situation when you don't find at least 3 minutes of filler on the album. Sometimes skits of 3 minutes if you're unlucky (handsome boy modelling school albums for example)... I personally despise that this has become common practice. I don't care about who you spoke to on the phone, I don't care about funny conversations with your band members, anything which doesn't contain music should not be on a music record.

Skits make tracklists look longer, but after hearing them once you will skip them, no matter how funny they are. If you have something funny to say, get the joke into your song lyrics or leave it out! They ruin otherwise perfect albums!

I really wish someone would start a serious petition to present to record executives and artists to show that they should stop adding skits.

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
An album is an experience, not a bunch of songs mixed slapped together. So I'm on the pro-skit side, as long as it's kept reasonable....

Eminem's ones, for example, are alright.

neb

I hardly ever listen to them more than once, and even then it's for the novelty value. They just don't add anything for me, as they are usually ramblings about something insignificant. Maybe that's being a little dismissive, but I don't have the attention span to draw links to hidden meanings.

There's only one skit that I remember, and it's from the new Kanye album. There was a period of time, not too long ago, where my friends and I went around chanting "Broke, broke, broke, we ain't got it". But hey, that was a true representation of our life at the time, still is! :D

VR4

Skits can really add to the feel of the album if done correctly. The skits on MF Doom's albums are prime examples

enjoilax

VR4 said:
Skits can really add to the feel of the album if done correctly. The skits on MF Doom's albums are prime examples
Only if they add to the concept of the record.

Good example of skit usage: De La Soul - Is Dead
Bad example of skit usage: Kanye West both albums. I skip them every single time.

Ethan120

On a long hot summer by masta ace it seems like there are more skits than songs.
same with the first kanye album.

PHiX

What about Prince Paul - A prince among thieves?

That album has 35 tracks with really more skits than songs.

It is done with a reason, because it is a hiphop opera musical type of story with songs in between.... but still I don't really enjoy it as an album. I know the story after a while and it just sucks having to skip 2 tracks to move on to the next song.

ham_man

enjoilax said:
Only if they add to the concept of the record.

Good example of skit usage: De La Soul - Is Dead
Bad example of skit usage: Kanye West both albums. I skip them every single time.
I listen to the intros, but the "Lil' Jimmy" ones (on College Dropout) are pretty stupid and the Broke Phi Broke skits (on Late Registration) are alright, but don't add much to the album...

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
they're pretty stupid in general. Beck's Stereopathic Soulmanure is like 50% skits. They're pretty funny though because they give an actual insight to what some people actually live like. Exept for the alien ones, they're jsut stupid.

Wether you call it creativity or stupidity I really don't like them.