• This is not the place to tout your latest must have app. It will be viewed as spam if you do post a link to your application or any "hey this app is awesome" shill style posts and your post will be removed and you may be banned.

If you wish to submit an application for inclusion on the iLounge.com main site please do so by sending an email to [email protected]

"Simplify Media" application is great!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

daihard

http://www.simplifymedia.com/

I've just tested the "Simplify Media" application. It lets you listen to your music stored in your home computers remotely on your iPhone. Sure sounds like Apple's Remote app, but Simplify Media has a lot more to offer.
  1. It works via 3G/EDGE as well as via Wi-Fi.
  2. It automatically retrieves the artist's description and the lyrics of the currently played song.
  3. The music can be stored on Windows, Mac and Linux (though only Ubuntu 8.04 for now).
I've just tested the application using my Linux box as the streaming server. It works great. It does take a bit of time to buffer the song over 3G, but it's bearable. :)

jason72780

yes it is. Took a few tries to get everything to show up, but it is working alot better than I thought it would

n3tfury

????? ???
does it have to buffer between songs, or can that be set on the server end maybe to start a song before the current one is finished? sounds interesting nonetheless.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
deftdrummer1 said:
can't find it. Is it a jailbroken app?

Nope. It's an iTunes App Store thing.

And yeah, it's pretty slick. I haven't tried it over EDGE or 3G yet, but if it works without killing the battery too quickly, it may end up being THE killer app for iPhone so far.

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
ok got it. Looks cool, can't wait to get home and try it out. Is it too early to start a countdown till the app gets pulled?

n3tfury

????? ???
lol, i was wondering the same thing. i won't be home for another twelve hours. keep a backup copy on you pc for me just in case ;)

jason72780

just give it some time if not working right. Used it Last night and worked fine, then word really got out and server was slammed. Couldn't even connect. Connected now but on iPhone just says buffeting. Once these kinks get out it should be really great. Or don't give it a chance so I can connect. And add me if you want jason72780

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
deftdrummer1 said:
ok got it. Looks cool, can't wait to get home and try it out. Is it too early to start a countdown till the app gets pulled?

Ars Technica was reporting just last week that Apple had patented a system for streaming media to the iPhone over the Intertubes. Simplify Media seems to be virtually the same thing. If Apple has a product like this in the pipeline, it's probably only a matter of time before this one bites the dust.

Thanks for the heads up on this app daihard. I'm using it now and it works great. Had not problems setting it up.

Edit: My library is 90GB and it's still loading but so far it's showing 7,417 available.

Last edited:

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
jamesus said:
How does it work with a large library? (Roughly 80 GB)
I'm having some trouble with the iphone recognizing my library, and when it does it displays far fewer artists than I really have. I have 154 GB of music.

Ya'll can connect to me too if you want! My simplify name is: deftdrummer

Not what would really be nice is a way to search!

n3tfury

????? ???
this app is almost like a mini squeeze box which is a great thing. currently streaming to my HT system and loving it.

n3tfury

????? ???
also, if a song or two that you have is missing lyrics, help out by putting them up on http://lyricwiki.org, where this app pulls from.

wouldn't this be interesting if this app was funded/monitored by the RIAA? and i'm not a conspiracy theorist.

n3tfury

????? ???
deftdrummer1 said:
it's not working so well for me. Kinda useless at this point.
you streaming at home or...? via 3g or..? what's the problem?

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
I've tried all 3 connections to no avail. The first problem I have is connecting to my library. At any given time on my mac it seems like the simplify media application is "scanning directory" or whatever, which means my music is inaccessable. When it finally does access the library, only about 10% of my music is present, and when I click a song it will load the album art, but hangs on the buffering screen.

I'm really hoping Apple makes their own streaming iteration on the iphone. When it comes to media services Apple just owns the category hands down.