• Please note that signatures and avatars on iLounge are only available after reaching certain membership thresholds.

Signatures

In order to be able to have a signature, users must have been a member for 7 days and have accumulated 10 posts.

Avatars are reserved for only the most senior of iLounge forum members. Users will not be able to use an avatar until they have been a member for a minimum of one year, and accumulated 1,500 posts. This is considered the Veteran Lounger level of membership.

A note on post whoring...

We welcome and encourage our members to make valuable and useful contributions to the iLounge forums, and to have fun, socialize, and actively participate in discussions on the forums. However, as per the Forum Policy, we will not tolerate excessive and unnecessary posting. Posting inane and pointless messages solely to increase one's post count in the hopes of reaching a higher membership level will be dealt with by the forum staff. Unnecessary posts may be subject to removal, and persisting in this behaviour will result in post counts being reduced and any further action being taken as deemed necessary.

• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

::sigh:: Page 2 troubles, redux

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

S2_Mac

Sorry for flogging this (apparently dead) horse, but this is really irritating. Yes, I've posted about this before, and Bob sez, "Works fine for me," but something is still wrong.

The situation: When I click on an orange page number link (in the "vbmenu_control1" section of the dark gray "topic_navigation" box) for a second or third page, the link is malformed and won't allow access to the second page.

The conditions: My "thread display options" are set to "Show Avatars," "Show Signatures," and "Show Images;" Thread Display mode is set to "Hybrid;" and "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" and "Default Thread Age Cut Off" are both set to "Forum Defaults."

My testing: I have duplicated the problem on several computers: Mac OSX 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6, using Safari 4 & 5 and FireFox 3 & 4; Win XP SP2 and 3, using a couple of different IEs and FFs; Win 7 (SP unknown) using using a couple of different IEs and FFs. I created a new account (PlaysInTraffic), gave it the same preferences, and duplicated the problem on a smaller set of Mac and Win platforms. I've used connections supplied by ATT and Comcast; no difference.

An example: Here's a recent thread that has grown to 2 pages (given my settings) -- iPad2 versus PS3 for portable media player. The address of the thread starter post is " "http://forums.ilounge.com/ipad/269232-ipad-2-versus-ps3-portable-media-player-post1404283.html". The Page 2 link I get is this: "http://forums.ilounge.com/ipad/269232-ipad-2-versus-ps3-portable-media-player-2.html#post1404283".

Notice that the fragment identifier in the Page 2 link is the same as the tail of the thread starter's link -- "1404283" This results in the following behavior, every time: 1) The actual "Page 2" listing is served up; great! 2) Then the fragment is processed, and the first page -- the true location of the indicated fragment -- loads. In this example, the page I'm ultimately served is http://forums.ilounge.com/ipad/269232-ipad-2-versus-ps3-portable-media-player-post1404283.html

So...well, maybe I'm actually going nuts, or I've developed some strange RDF of my own ;-) But could someone at least humor the crazy person by attempting to replicate this error? Temporarily set your options to match those I've listed above, and then try to access this link: iPad2 versus PS3 for portable media player, Page 2, and then tell me if your final destination was the actual second page, or if -- like me -- you get dumped back onto the first page.

It's not a huge deal to work around this -- right-click on the link to Copy Link; then paste into the browser's address bar, and peck at the Delete key to remove the fragment identifier (leaving the address http://forums.ilounge.com/ipad/269232-ipad-2-versus-ps3-portable-media-player-2.html); then press Return to send the request to iLounge servers. Not a huge deal, but certainly worthy of being a lowercase pita!

Website
www.ilounge.com
Thanks for bringing this up again, as it's definitely something we want to get fixed if we can figure out why it's only affecting certain users.

In my case, when I click the link you've provided -- http://forums.ilounge.com/ipad/269232-ipad-2-versus-ps3-portable-media-player-2.html#post1404283 -- I'm seeing the exact same behaviour -- page two comes up, but then shortly thereafter redirects back to page 1.

However, the URL I'm seeing for the page 2 link in that thread is actually http://forums.ilounge.com/ipad/269232-ipad-2-versus-ps3-portable-media-player-2.html which is working fine (not the "-2" at the end and the lack of a post anchor fragment).

So the question that we need to figure out is why you're getting a different link that contains a post anchor. I'll definitely investigate further, but wanted to at least respond with the current state of affairs as I see it and let you know that we're on it. :)

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
I'm seeing the problem too (on Chrome and IE8), but only when my forum settings are "Hybrid" for Thread Display Mode (I normally use Linear mode). When in Hybrid and I change to page 2 or higher, I can see that the Post # at the top-right header of the top post on the page is always #1 no matter what page I'm on, then it reverts back to page 1. Not sure if that's a clue or just a symptom. In Linear mode the page change "sticks" and the top post number is never #1 beyond the first page.

S2_Mac

Yeah, I've tried to be quite clear in my posts on this matter that it's an issue with "Hybrid" mode; maybe Bob missed that the first time around. It's something to do with how the php code thinks it needs to treat Hybrid views...it's just not finding the right fragment identifier as it builds the Page 2 links. (If it was Perl I'd love to see the code; feel sorry for those who have to pore over longwinded PHP.) Good luck to the brainiacs!

Anyway, just relieved that someone else can verify the problem; means I can put off signing those self-committment papers for another few days ;-)

Website
www.ilounge.com
I believe I've found and fixed the problem. It appears to be an issue with hybrid view and the VBSEO plug-in (which is what renders the URLs as text-based thread names instead of simply thread IDs).

The URL for the page link will actually still contain the post anchor as that's a function of the hybrid view. However, VBSEO should no longer misinterpret this as a request to direct the user back to the first page of the thread.

Please test it out and let me know if it's working properly now.

S2_Mac

Seems to be working now ::fingers crossed:: Thanx, Jesse...hope there's a little something extra in your envelope this week ;-)

(LOL -- that plugin name threw me for a loop...I got the "Search Engine Optimization" part, but thought the "VB" stood for ::gasp:: Visual Basic <g> Then I woke up and realized it must be vBulletin.)