Shuffle plays the same 20 or 30 songs

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

imoksoami

Newbie hear and this had probably been answered many times, but...

I got an 80G Classic Christmas '07. At the time everyone was saying be careful of firmware and since the Classic was somewhat new I just left well enough alone. Anyway, when I use shuffle my ipod plays the same songs all of the time. Is this a common problem?
Thanks for any help.
Jim

Astro_Digital

Yes this common problem. Shuffle just does not work it is just beyond Apple to write shuffle in away such that it will pick a song at random and not play it again until all the other songs are played.

Shuffle will and does play the same songs over and over again. When I looked at my play counts some songs had a count of over 10 while dozens of songs were never played.

So you need to do what I was forced to and everybody else that wants random music has been forced to do, you need to create smart playlists.

The playlist can have rules pick songs that have not been heard in "some amount of time", pick songs with a play count less than "5, 6, 7". You enable live updating and have the smartplaylist pick songs at random. You need to create and fine tune your rules.

Why Apple could give you "Smart Playlist" but not a shuffle that works is beyond me

ScoobZ

First make sure that none of your songs are marked as "skip when shuffling" in iTunes.

imoksoami

Astro_Digital & Scoobz,

Thanks for the info!

I checked and I don't have any songs marked as 'skip when shuffling'.

I only have about 1000 songs loaded. About 30 of them have double digit play counts while all of the rest have been played 2 or 3 times...
I will work on making a smart playlist. I can't believe people aren't making more of an issue about this- what a pain.

Thanks Again,
Jim

ScoobZ

imoksoami said:
I only have about 1000 songs loaded. About 30 of them have double digit play counts while all of the rest have been played 2 or 3 times...
With that many songs on your iPod your play counts are very odd. iTunes/iPod "random" isn't completely random but your experience seems to me to be well outside the normal quirkiness.

Are you shuffling a specific playlist or are you simply going to the main menu and choosing "Shuffle Songs?"

In your iPod settings menu is "repeat" On or Off?