Shuffle: Blinking green and orange lights - solved

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

trickyt

After months of trying I finally repaired an IPOD shuffle.

The problem was that no music would play and the green and orange lights blinked alternately. I had read that maybe this is because there was no music on the IPOD, but all attempts to wipe it clean and re-load failed. It would go through the motions in iTunes then tell me that the IPOD update was complete. Still no change in status.

I tried to uninstall and then re-install the software from the original disk and then again from downloading from the iTunes site., but no luck. I still got those darned blinking orange and green lights, but no music. According to everything I read on the internet, the only solution was to take it in for a service, or buy a new one. Wrong!

I was about to take it to bits when I had an idea. Follow these instructions and your shuffle will work like new again. Follow these instructions:

Place the shuffle in you PCs USB.

A dialog box may pop up. Do not click it.

Do not click any dialog which pops up asking if you want to put songs from this pc onto this ipod, deleting the old ones.

Click edit, preferneces, and check the box "enable disk use"

Move the slider right so that it is set to more data (maximum), and 0 songs.

Click OK

Right Click your start button, and select explore

Navigate to My Computer, and then seek the drive which represents the Shuffle. (mine is called Trick's IPO) (G:).

Now right click on the drive (G: in my case), and selectr format

Leave the options as they are - Mine says 488MB, FAT32, Default Allocation Size,

Click Start

After formatting,

Click eject ipod (icon in the bottom right of the itunes window)

Remove the shuffle

Re-insert the shuffle

It works!!!!

machima

Couldn't you have just used the iPod Software Updater and used the format feature in that? It's a lot simpler and sets it back to factory settings.

LynchMOB

machima said:
Couldn't you have just used the iPod Software Updater and used the format feature in that? It's a lot simpler and sets it back to factory settings.
The way I read his post it sounds like he tried everything.

trickyt

Yes I tried everything!

I tried using the IPOD shuffle updater and using any and all apple related format tools I could find, but nothing worked until I used the Windows XP format function.

One point to add. Format as FAT, not FAT32! No harm will come iof you do it wrong. Just re-do it.

downhill

I used my ipod on a different computer with an older version of itunes, and this problem occured afterwards. didn't you do the same?

trickyt

Nope. always stuck my ipos in the same hole.. - well come to think of it, maybe you are right. - I have dual boot, and perhaps i booted to the wrong disk and tried to synch from there. Must have an older version of itunes on the second disk.

trickyt

Tried to post a link to this problem when another user had the same question, but apparently i am not allowed to do so as I am not an established user. Lets hope this helps..

dagamezmasta

Website
www.xanga.com
so trickyt, your computer could detect the presence of an USB device plugged in? mine seems to be able to detect it, but i can't actually access it.

and iTunes and iPod updater can't detect it at all.

johnny_cage

i have the same, windows can detect the apple ipod shuffle, but it wont let me do anything to it. and ipod update and itunes dosent detect it at all.

the only solution i know of for this is to try and get it replaced under warranty, but i dont have the time right now to contact apple about it. so im left with a white brick until an alternative solution arrives.

BroJoe6

Green & Orange Blinkin

To trickyt;) ;)
Thank you SOOOO MUCHHHHHH!!!!!!
I read your article of "After Months of trying"
I did everything you said and 'AT LAST'
my IPOD is working.

Listen Everyone follow his instructions it really works.

BroJoe6

tmunlin

Flashing Green and Yellow Lights

Brilliant. I tried it and it worked for me. Hope I don't have this problem again.

Thanks trickyt

HughBorg707

I fixed mine, but in an odd way.

Hi Gang,

I picked up a 512mb Shuffle from a friend. I used it for one day before attempting to update the iPod software. Once I did that, I got the flashing lights.

I tried everything on the PC side. I would get various errors with the iPod update software and iTunes would never see the device. Windows would only see it as a hard drive.

Then I got an idea. I recently built a OSX86 computer (for those who don't know, its OSX 10.4.6 running on a PC computer). Since it was running OSX and a virgin iTunes, I gave it a shot. I downloaded the latest iPod updater software for Mac, and did the update again. This time, when I opened iTunes, everything worked fine. iTunes recognized it, and I was able to download music to it. The best thing is, it works again, and plays fine.

Now I realize not everyone has an OSX86 machine laying around. And also I haven't attempted to use it again on my PC iTunes. I think what happens is that the latest update software simply deletes the system files. In short, that would be the files on the Shuffle that actually operate the device. Without those files, the Shuffle is really nothing more than a 512mb USB memory card with no intelligence.

So, my bottom line is that I identified my particular error and fix, and also identified that it doesn't seem to be a problem with the device at all, it all seems to be a software glitch.

Anyone else?

Hugh :cool:

kaze88

Hi. i have the same green/orange flashing light problem.
When i plug the shuffle into the USB port, my PC recognizes it, but does not show up in iTunes. The lights, when i plug it in, flashes green ONCE, then continiously blinks orange on the front and on the battery light. I left it overnight and it still keeps blinking.
I tried to right click the shuffle drive on MyComputer, but it freezes. And whenever i get a succesful right-click and the menu pops up, i try to click 'format' but nothing happens.
Ive tried iPod updater, it just freezes. ive tried uninstalling/reinstalling, no good.
Anyone have any idea how to deal with this? rather than sending it in for service or some bs

Chef Clang

My Shuffle has the blinkig led's but iPod software can't restore it, and nothing happens when I try to format it from Windows Explorer. This is my third Shuffle, and each one has done the same thing. Does anyone have any idea what the cause is?

dd2508

Alive but With No Playback Or Recognition

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my own 1GB iPod Shuffle. When I plug the shuffle into the USB port, my PC recognizes it, but does not show up in iTunes or iPod updater. The lights, when I plug it in, flash green ONCE, then continiously orange on the front and on the battery light. I left it overnight and it still keeps blinking.

I tried to right click the shuffle drive on MyComputer, but it freezes. And whenever I do get a succesful right-click and the menu pops up, i try clicking 'format' but nothing happens. I've tried iPod updater with old and up-to-date versions but it just freezes whilst "instalizing". I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no good has come from it, even a toubleshooting step-by-step guide on apple's website hasn't done me any good.

Does anyone have any idea how to deal with this? It's slipped out of warranty just a couple of months ago so no apple service for him, might aswell buy a new one for the price!

Any replies appreciated!