Shuffle: Blinking green and orange lights - solved

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

brazil5376

Ipod

kaze88 said:
Hi. i have the same green/orange flashing light problem.
When i plug the shuffle into the USB port, my PC recognizes it, but does not show up in iTunes. The lights, when i plug it in, flashes green ONCE, then continiously blinks orange on the front and on the battery light. I left it overnight and it still keeps blinking.
I tried to right click the shuffle drive on MyComputer, but it freezes. And whenever i get a succesful right-click and the menu pops up, i try to click 'format' but nothing happens.
Ive tried iPod updater, it just freezes. ive tried uninstalling/reinstalling, no good.
Anyone have any idea how to deal with this? rather than sending it in for service or some bs
same problem here

gimletgoop

I tried all that and it did not work for me. I have Windows XP. This is what fixed mine:

I downloaded iTunes version 7.1.1 (quick research said that was the most stable version, but I don't know for sure).

I installed it on my laptop, which is a completely different computer than my usual desktop.

Went through the usual installation stuff and it works now. Not going to get too excited since I've heard other people fixing theirs only to see it die completely eventually.

Also, not sure if it made a difference, but I did a full Format via Explorer first. It did not make it work with my desktop, but *maybe* it was a factor for it to work with my laptop.

My Explorer would not show my Shuffle, but I noticed if I kept Explorer open WHILE I was loading iTunes and loading the Shuffle, it would pop on momentarily letting me quickly right click on the showing drive to select Format. At least the Format box was open and I could proceed with formatting once I closed iTunes.

walta007

thank you

thank you for your help. It worked, but i have a question. Why does it need fat rather than fat32?

lilyofthe2gene

Brilliant!! Amazing!! Awesome.!!! this so works, i only just formatted because I could not find the enable disk use thing...but my iPod works now!!! This works people!! thank you tons Trickyt!!!

jazzy

10 years later and it still works. Thanks for the update. I'm not sure if just formatting it would work, but I followed the steps and it is playing music again. I hadn't used my ipod in over 3 years, so I'm not sure why it gave the flashing orange green error code.

qwerty_kid

I downloaded itunes in early 2017. Anyone have a walkthrough for me? (Pictures would be appreciated.) I really wanna fix my shuffle. It used to be my late father's, and he would've hated to see it broken. :/

justinn007

I used my ipod on a different computer with an older version of itunes, and this problem occured afterwards. didn't you do the same?

squattinghawk

After months of trying I finally repaired an IPOD shuffle.

The problem was that no music would play and the green and orange lights blinked alternately. I had read that maybe this is because there was no music on the IPOD, but all attempts to wipe it clean and re-load failed. It would go through the motions in iTunes then tell me that the IPOD update was complete. Still no change in status.

I tried to uninstall and then re-install the software from the original disk and then again from downloading from the iTunes site., but no luck. I still got those darned blinking orange and green lights, but no music. According to everything I read on the internet, the only solution was to take it in for a service, or buy a new one. Wrong!

I was about to take it to bits when I had an idea. Follow these instructions and your shuffle will work like new again. Follow these instructions:

Place the shuffle in you PCs USB.

A dialog box may pop up. Do not click it.

Do not click any dialog which pops up asking if you want to put songs from this pc onto this ipod, deleting the old ones.

Click edit, preferneces, and check the box "enable disk use"

Move the slider right so that it is set to more data (maximum), and 0 songs.

Click OK

Right Click your start button, and select explore

Navigate to My Computer, and then seek the drive which represents the Shuffle. (mine is called Trick's IPO) (G:).

Now right click on the drive (G: in my case), and selectr format

Leave the options as they are - Mine says 488MB, FAT32, Default Allocation Size,

Click Start

After formatting,

Click eject ipod (icon in the bottom right of the itunes window)

Remove the shuffle

Re-insert the shuffle

It works!!!!
Same blinking orange then green, this method almost worked. I formatted to fat32 on Ubuntu/Linux PC (FAT not an option), which allowed my iMac and iTunes to finally recognize it. "Restore" got a corrupted iPod error message.Clicked on First Aid ,then "Erase" ,then reformat to Ipod Apple format(ntsf- extended journaled?) , then "Restore" worked!! Shuffle 2nd gen. now works fine. I theorize these ipods formatted to work on Windows iTunes won't function or be recognized on Mac PCs.