• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Shows on my iPad?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

penguin47

So, I am going to be out of the country for a few months. How can I get enough shows on my ipad to keep me entertained? I really dont want to have to carry around my iPad and my Laptop if I can avoid it. Is there a way I can access my home computer from my ipad and stream my stuff (not iTunes)? Any way to hook an external HDD up to an iPad? Thanks!

bwh79

You can stream content from your iTunes library to your iDevice, but only if they're connected to the same local network. So you won't be able to access your home library while you're out abroad. I think your only options are to either encode your videos at a lower bitrate so more of them will fit in the iPad's internal storage, or else bring along your laptop as well to stream and/or physically transfer content to the iPad.

There may be third party apps out there that will let you access a remote library, but I wouldn't know anything about them.

kornchild2002

There are a few options. Remote desktop apps will work though they require purchase. Additionally, your computer will have to be on the entire time and they won't work over a 3G network (at least not for video playback, that requires wi-fi only). There are NAS solutions that let your iPad access them when it isn't connected to your home network. Again, those require additional apps that likely aren't free. Your router and NAS setup would have to be on while you are gone as well. You are also limited to wi-fi access only for video playback.

Seagate also makes a product called the GoFlex Satellite. It costs a pretty penny but it is a 500GB external, portable HDD that also has a built-in wi-fi router. You use Seagate's app (which is free) and that will allow your iPad to access content stored on the HDD including music, movies, and photos (no apps!). Seagate just issued a firmware update for the GoFlex Satellite and it now gets 6-7 hours of battery life on a single charge. It isn't the best solution but it is the closest you will come to having an external HDD actually hooked up to the iPad (which can't be done without jailbreaking it, buying Apple's camera connector accessory, and finding a portable HDD that runs off of an AC adapter since the iPad's dock connector can't fully power an external HDD).

The Seagate HDD is your best option in terms of having full access to 500GB of content. It isn't perfect and a little expensive but it will work whether your iPad has access to the internet or not. You can also setup the Seagate so that, if you are at a hotel, it will feed your iPad the hotel's wi-fi connection as well as all of the media that is on it. That way you won't have to chose if you want online access with your iPad or if you want to playback media.