• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Should I make the switch? PC to Mac

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blue_maffu_202

Well last night my laptop crashed for the millionth time, and then I switch to my desktop PC which then also proceded to crash. I have seen those Mac vs PC commercials so once I got the computer working again, I looked up Mac's.

It seems that mac's are the best bet, because i can even run my windows specific programs on them, thats if I still need them. Mac seems to have enough programs to cover all the bases and eliminate the need for some of my Windows programs.

The problem, I'm used to a PC and the Windows platform. If something goes wrong, I know how to fix it in most cases. Switching to a mac would be like starting from square one.

Anybody here make the switch? Are mac's really as good as they say? (no viruses, no crashing, faster all round) Is it hard to adjust to using a Mac?

I wouldn't be upgrading my computers until next year at least, so I have some time to consider things.

bdb

On the B side of life
Maybe you should consider why your Windows systems are crashing so much? I use a few different systems an average of ~10 hours a day, and I get a blue screen maybe once a year. Things were much different before XP, of course.

If this is the best you can get Windows to do, a switch might be a good idea.

Aceon6

Barca Lounger
Yes, it's hard to adjust. Finder and I didn't get along for a while until I really understood it. Also, my muscle memory really missed having two buttons to click. That said, I've had my iBook for a little over a year and love it. It's nice that it updates itself when necessary, and the battery life is very good in comparison to my old Dell.

I still use a Wintel desktop quite a bit, but am starting to use the iBook more and more. Fortunately, I was able to get Office with an educational discount, so I'm not handicapped by using new software.

If you can, spend some time at the Apple store and take advantage of some of their free classes. That will give you an idea of the differences so you'll be able to make an informed choice.

blue_maffu_202

With XP it kinda eliminates the blue screen, but it still freezes and locks up to the point it needs a hard restart. Thats what I mean by crashing.

I'm just wondering will Aplle truly be more stable and run smoother than Windows?

I'm also worried about troubleshooting. Right now, if something goes wrong, I can fix it. All my friends and family rely on me to fix their PC's when something goes arye. With a mac, I'd be learning from scratch, but I am a fast learner. All my PC skills are self taught, so I could do the same with a Mac.

With a mac, is system maitanance still the same? Do you have disk cleanup's and defrags?

And isn't their a 2 button mouse for mac? What does the right click do? Open a menu like windows?

Thanks for your help

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
blue_maffu_202 said:
With a mac, is system maitanance still the same? Do you have disk cleanup's and defrags?

And isn't their a 2 button mouse for mac? What does the right click do? Open a menu like windows?

Thanks for your help

You don't need to defrag a Macintosh. It does it automatiically.

There is a 2 button mouse for Mac (the Mighty Mouse), which actually has 4 buttons. Right click works similar to windows.

Btw, congrats Sypher ;)

zapod

Gadgeteer
We have three Macs - an old iMac DV, the iBook and the iMac G5. None of them require any maintenance. They rarely require troubleshooting. With the systems set to sleep after 15 minutes, we just leave 'em on. Walk away and return to them when we need them again. All Macs wake from sleep in a matter of seconds. The iBook gets closed. It sleeps. I open it and carry on from where I left off.

blue_maffu_202

I don't have to run defrags, I don't need anti-virus stuff, and I won't have the computer lock up on me every few minutes. This sounds pretty apealing.

What about file formats. I have lots of MPEG-2 videos and stuff, are they supported on Mac?

I also have photoshop and a few other programs that I downloaded from limewire. (I know, illegal, but i can't afford the $600+ for photoshop) Can i use that to install on the mac, or do i have to buy or download a different version?

Do *.exe files work on mac's?

I'm really thinking this is a good idea, but I would wait to buy one until the new OS is out and pre-loaded.

Aceon6

Barca Lounger
To allay your concerns, Blue, Apple's made great strides in making sure that data file formats are recognized. The only thing I've heard that doesn't work is copy protected Windows Media, but there are ways around that.

As a rule .exe files compiled for Windows only work on Windows. Most will be looking for DLLs that don't exist in Mac land. With the new Intel chips, you can run Windows on your Mac if you needed to.

The only other downside is an occasional hiccup with printer and other device drivers. Even that is getting better, but if you have an older device that you MUST have, check around before trying to install it.

porieux

You will be much happier with a Mac, no question. And if you change your mind or still want to run Windows, you can install it on a second partition. You can't lose.

blue_maffu_202

The more I look into the mac, the more i want to go to the apple store and buy one NOW!

But I don't have enough money to do that, need to save. And its probably best to get it when Leopard is released, then i don't need to buy the new OS, right?

When is Leopard out anyway?

JMG

asdf
Macs are easy. If you are not too technically savvy and don't mind the relative loss of control then get a mac. I've only crashed a few times this year on my new macbook pro.

Bonk

If you have the money, get a Mac. I use things at school all the time and I would gladly dump my PC for a Mac if I had the money.

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
blue_maffu_202 said:
The more I look into the mac, the more i want to go to the apple store and buy one NOW!

But I don't have enough money to do that, need to save. And its probably best to get it when Leopard is released, then i don't need to buy the new OS, right?

When is Leopard out anyway?
Spring 2007. Very ambigious date but start saving.

blue_maffu_202

I'm pretty tech savvy, but loss of control? how so?

I think i can deal with not having to do things manually and just sit back and let apple do it.

I don't worry it will be hard to use, more that it may be hard to adjust. Its like writing with your non-dominant hand, lol