Should I go back to iTunes 6.0.5? I really need some advice...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MoonlitShadow

I posted more in depth about my problem with iTunes 7 here: http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=175320

No one replied yet, which I completely understand since no one probably knows how to resolve this issue at the moment even though a lot of people seem to be having the same problem. The short version is ever since I installed 7, iTunes doesn't recogize my iPod.:( I'd really like to be able to use 7 though. Does anyone have any idea how to get iTunes 7 to see my iPod, or is it hopeless at this point? I keep thinking there has to be a way, but no one has been able to help. The strange thing is I know there's nothing wrong with my iPod. It synced perfectly with iTunes before I had 7 on the computer. Should I finally give up and go back to iTunes 6.0.5? I really need opinions on this, so please reply with any thoughts and/or suggestions you have.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
I read the other posts. Does Windows recognize the iPod as a disc drive at all?

MoonlitShadow

Unfortunately I don't think it does now. When I made the other posts I thought Windows was seeing it as an external HD. But I just connected it now (using the FiireWire connection I've always used with no problem before) and checked the Safely Remove Hardware dialog box. It's a bit confusing since I have a card reader built in my computer and those are seen as four storage devices on their own. I originally thought one of those was the iPod being seen as a HD, but it turns out they're all card readers. So sorry for the long answer but no, I don't think Windows is seeing the iPod at all now.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Have you:

A-Tried a different FW Cable?
B-Tried a different Firewire Port?
C-Tried USB2?
D-Tries a different Computer?

If you can say "Yes" to all of those and nothing made it work, your iPod is the problem. If you can say no to any of them, it could be your PC or Windows/iTunes.

MoonlitShadow

Ok, I just tried the the front USB port on the computer and stopped using FW completely. The iPod was finally recognized by Windows at least. After connecting I finally got the "Do not disconnect" sign. BUT, within about 5 seconds of that happening Windows freezes, and I can't even use the safely remove hardware option. So I go ahead and disconnect the iPod and then Windows is instantly fine -- no longer frozen. I finally thought I was getting somewhere. All my USB Ports are USB 2 (fairly new Media Center PC) and each worked perfectly when syncing with iTunes (without freezing) before I installed iTunes 7. Any other suggestions or insight you can provide? I really appreciate your help!

MoonlitShadow

I really think I'm about to do that. It seems like a lot of people are doing that for various reasons and based on the problems they’ve had. It's obvious iTunes 7 has a lot of issues/bugs in it that people don't know how to resolve or even why they're occurring. I hope Apple comes up with the next version soon that doesn't have as many issues. I have one question though...Can anyone give me full directions on how to completely uninstall iTunes 7 from my computer. I know how to uninstall the program itself, but I want to ensure that all traces of iTunes will be gone from my hard drive (to prevent conflicts) before reinstalling 6.0.5

MoonlitShadow

Ok, I just uninstalled iTunes 7 and the previous iTunes updaters. Is there anything else I need to remove/uninstall before reinstalling the 06-28 updater and iTunes 6.0.5?

MoonlitShadow

Just wanted to update this with some important info in case it could end up helping someone else. After uninstalling iTunes 7 and reinstallung 6.0.5, the same issues I was having with 7 reoccured in 6.0.5 at first (iTunes not recognizing my iPod, freezing Windows when connected via USB etc.) I thought I was basically doomed and the effects of ever having installed 7 were irreversible...until I started playing with the processes and software that are meant to run in the background of my computer.

Once I disabled my virus protection iTunes popped right open again. My iPod is recognized by iTunes when my antivirus software is disabled. It syncs perfectly again just as it did before, finally! I guess iTunes now really does conflict with McAfee antivirus. I could probably install iTunes 7 again, and it might work well as long as my antivirus is disabled before I use it. I'm not sure I should risk installing 7 again though. Any thoughts/opinions?

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Well, I'm not surprised that McAfee could be causing this sort of problem.

It has been my experience over the years that a great many things conflict with either McAfee or Norton Anti-virus tools. I can't comment as much on the more recent versions, but I went to AVG's free anti-virus software for my Windows machines about two or three years ago and haven't looked back.

I work as an IT Consultant, and it's not uncommon at all for my clients to have to disable McAfee or Norton when pushing out software updates to corporate desktop computers.

smooothone23

I uninstalled 7.0 and reinstalled 6.0.5, but I cannot access my library because it is formatted to the new 7.0 version? How do I revert to the old library version?

Thanks

cjmnews

Staff member
smooothone23 said:
I uninstalled 7.0 and reinstalled 6.0.5, but I cannot access my library because it is formatted to the new 7.0 version? How do I revert to the old library version?

Thanks
Restore your backup of the files.

MoonlitShadow

smooothone23 said:

Thanks
Hmmm...I didn't have that problem so I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds to me like you still had some parts of iTunes 7 left on your computer before you reinstalled 6.0.5. That's one possibility anyway.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
smooothone23 said:
How do I just restore the backup of the library?

Thanks
Don't ask me how I came in late to this thread.

In the iTunes folder you may find a file for "previous iTunes librarys" find the iTunes 6 library file and simply replace the iTunes 7 library with that. You'll lose any changes to iTunes you have made since the upgrade...