Should I buy iPhone 4 before October?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gfplux

I heard lots of comments about signal strength when the iphone 4 came out. This was sorted by Apple with some comment about September.
I am just about to get a 32g Black and wonder should I wait.
Is anything going to be announced at the end of September>

Website
www.ilounge.com
There are rumours circulating that Apple may release a fix to the antenna issue with a new model after September, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The free case program ends on September 30th, but Apple will still be wiling to give out free cases for anybody who is actually experiencing the problem -- it just won't be a free-for-all, you'll have to contact AppleCare instead with a support issue.

That said, the antenna problem is almost a non-issue if you live, work and travel in an area with good signal strength. The issue only manifests itself in fringe coverage areas (and sadly, it seems like most of AT&T's network in the U.S. is one big fringe coverage area ;) ).

I'm on Rogers in Canada and live and work in a major metropolitan area. I rarely get less than four bars unless I'm in a basement or an elevator and I've had no problems with the antenna on my iPhone 4, even without a case. Regardless, a case is supposed to fix the issue since it keeps the flawed area of the antenna from coming into contact with your skin and frankly it's pretty risky to tote around the almost all-glass iPhone 4 without a case on it anyway.

If Apple does "fix" the antenna issue it's likely to be a quiet release of new product as opposed to a major announcement. This means there will still be older iPhone 4's in the pipeline and it will probably be hit-and-miss whether you get a fixed one anyway. Apple has done these kind of quiet releases in the past to fix problems without quite acknowledging that the problem exists, and I wouldn't expect the iPhone 4 to be any different in that regard.

The bottom line is that unless you're holding out for a white iPhone 4 I don't see any point in waiting, and the advantage of getting one before September 30th is that you can get a free case. :)

gfplux

Thank for the reply. I have now reserved one of the black 32g becoming available next week.