sex pistols vs the ramones

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ramones vs sex pistols

• ramones

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • sex pistols

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • both are crap

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters

enjoilax

Doug Gilmour said:
Easy does it tiger...

Just because I don't particularly like the genre doesn't mean I think it's crap.. I appreciate what it did for the world of music and respect what they did. And before putting down Led Zeppelin, remember that they influenced many successful 1990s acts and the future of guitar..

Now calm down laxy, no need to get all worked up.

-Dan
Ahhh yea. You're right. Except about Led ;) (joking)
There was a time when you hated any and all punk with a passion.
rogermexico said:
Um, guys? The Sex Pistols were a boy band with one good song.

The correct answer is, of course, The Clash
Well, Duh. :)

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
enjoilax said:
Ahhh yea. You're right. Except about Led ;) (joking)
There was a time when you hated any and all punk with a passion.
Yeah, there was also a time when I thought anything made past 1985 was junk and not worth listening to. Times have changed ;)

-Dan

melsmusic

Um, guys? The Sex Pistols were a boy band with one good song.
Umm one good song. Maybe one good album. But songs include Anarchy In The UK, God Save The Queen, Pretty Vacant, No Feelings.... just off the top of my head.

Yeah iMacc I agree you can't call Radiohead or any other band you don't like crap but I don't think Dan had much of a choice as the poll only had 3 options of which there is only 1 if you didn't like them.

I'm with you rogermexico on The Clash though. Love them. :D

neb

iMacc said:
Who brought The Clash (the best band ever) into the poll ? Because if they were to be added as an option, i would be changing my allegiance.
Me too.

rogermexico

melsmusic said:
songs include Anarchy In The UK, God Save The Queen, Pretty Vacant, No Feelings.... just off the top of my head.
So like I said, one good song ("Anarchy" is certainly equal to anything in the Ramones' catalog) ;)

For pete's sake, the Pistols were assembled by a London shopkeeper to help sell clothes!

melsmusic

According to you rogermexico, of those listed there is only 1 good song. I like all of them as do many people so their appeal was wider than 1 song.

But I am not trashing the Ramones. I'm just saying I liked the Pistols better for whatever reason that is I don't know. It just is.

Some people don't always like the BEST or most POPULAR band in a genre as some of us can be more individual than that. If I like it... well I like it whether it's the popular choice or not.

I nowhere said The Sex Pistols had more albums or hits than the Ramones.. it's my choice on who I prefer. You don't seem to get that.

pmad

Doug Gilmour said:
Yeah, there was also a time when I thought anything made past 1985 was junk and not worth listening to. Times have changed ;)

-Dan
Let me guess Dan - That's because Wham! Make It Big came out in late 1984 and you figured it couldn't get any better than that ;)

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
pmad said:
Let me guess Dan - That's because Wham! Make It Big came out in late 1984 and you figured it couldn't get any better than that ;)
No, no, no! It was because of the Culture Club - Waking Up With the House On Fire...

;)

-Dan

antiditz

I'm gonna abstain from this one, only because I don't particularly like either one (though I would not say both are crap! Heaven forbid.)

I would like to make a point though, if I may. Perhaps the Sex Pistols have got the edge here; if you look at the span of their influence in proportion to the span of the group's existence, what was it, five or so years? Whereas the Ramones were around for a lot longer. So it seems the pistols packed a stronger punch, no?

However, if we're going with who influenced your country more, I guess here it would be the Ramones, between the two.

As to The Clash being in the mix, no contest! That would be kind of like asking who was better, the Beatles or the Monkees.

Jackonicko

Retired
I saw the Ramones, the Pistols, and the Clash live, many times in the case of the Clash.

The Ramones were dreadful (many punk bands were). The Pistols were astonishingly good, especially before Sid, and the Clash were patchily brilliant. On balance, as a live act, the Clash have it. On balance, for the whole of their output, the Clash have it. But for the brilliance of a single album, there is no beating 'Never Mind the Bol.locks'.

Of course the best live Punk act were the Undertones......

rogermexico

melsmusic said:
According to you rogermexico, of those listed there is only 1 good song. I like all of them as do many people so their appeal was wider than 1 song...

I nowhere said The Sex Pistols had more albums or hits than the Ramones.. it's my choice on who I prefer. You don't seem to get that.
Oh dear... I was hoping the winky face would make it clear that I was just playin'. Apologies if I offended.

I have deep affection for the Pistohs, and a lot of, well, maybe respect's the wrong word, but, um, appreciation for Malcolm McLaren. The Ramones probably are more important, but very little of their actual recorded output does much for me. So I agree with you there.

Though these "hits" you speak of... did the Ramones have any? I'd think "Anarchy" would have been the biggest single released by either band.

rogermexico

Jackonicko said:
On balance, for the whole of their output, the Clash have it. But for the brilliance of a single album, there is no beating 'Never Mind the Bol.locks'.
I'd take the first Clash album over Bollocks in a heartbeat. Though if we're talking strictly about bands that only released one album, you're definitely on to something...

melsmusic

No worries rogermexico. It was more the 2nd statement where I picked up you thought they were rubbish. No offence taken.

I actually have been listening to some of the Ramones material and while I think they are OK they certainly don't possess that "raw punk" feel I get when listening to the Pistols. My opinion guys before all you Ramones fans come in to beat me up :D

Including The Clash into the argument would make it a harder decision for me but as this was a "Ramones vs. Pistols" I went with the Pistols.

Emultion_Rawks

Resident iLounge Rebel
Website
www.thedigitaloasis.net
Jackonicko said:
Genius versus mediocrity. If you look beyond the hype the Pistols were brilliant - with great tunes (Pretty Vacant, Anarchist and GSTQ) which the Ramones never had.
Not quite what I'm saying but basically the same thing. :)

RainyBear

Banned
iMacc said:
Which makes two highly important bands ''crap'' :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You should seriously think before you post...
Wow, so important there'd be no such thing as music without them.:rolleyes:

Talk about thinking before you post...