sex pistols vs the ramones

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ramones vs sex pistols

• ramones

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • sex pistols

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • both are crap

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters

oodlenoodle

i personally think that the ramones are the american apple pie version of the pistols.
but thats just imho.

enjoilax

Um...

Its like asking which do you like more the father or the son.

Both had different styles, but the son (sex pistols) took the father's (ramones) style and then added their own "UK"ness (Source: Independent Lens - The Ramones)

I mean that documentary is biased, but honestly you are pitting the originators of an entire genre versus their spawn.

Ichijoe

All Rush, All the time...
Holdon there just a second...

What was this Pole again which band was (is), better. Or which Band s*cks more then the other? Because I don't see a need for the Third option '(They're) both are crap'. Because if you felt that way about the Sex Pistols and the Ramones. Why even start this Pole in the first place?

Thats like me posting a Pole on Brittney and Cristina and saying both are Crap. The only diffference is BOTH OF THEM ARE CRAP! Of couse the Fanboys / Girls will have room to disagree.

But you'll never see the Ramones or the Sexpistols featured in a "You have bad taste in Music" segment either. Beit that these band no longer exsitst or not.

But, not quite understanding the Pole I voted for the Ramones because there Work was more broader then just the one Album. In this case 'Never mind the Bullocks: Here comes the Sexpistols'...

neb

I've voted for the pistols simply because of the influence they had on the music scene in this country. It may be true that THe Ramones were the original - but their impact here is a little hard to measure.

The 'Pistols songs have more meaning here as well (God Save The Queen, Anarchy in the UK etc.) compared to The KKK Took My Baby Away.

melsmusic

I never really listened much to the Ramones.

I vote for the Sex Pistols just because I love them.

In fact the song they wrote "No Feelings" .. I knew a lot of people that they might have been thinking of when they penned that :D

iMacc

'' Mr 10 Posts A Day ''
Website
www.last.fm
enjoilax said:
Its like asking which do you like more the father or the son.
Amen.

The Ramones were THE first punk-rock band. Without them The Pistols and others simply would'nt be around.

They were together and releasing albums for 20 years (1976-1996). They were the first punk-rock band to get a major label contract and they created an opening for others to pass through into the big time.

The Ramones produced 21 albums of pure genius, which is more than many people's Top 5 bands have managed between them!

Now i love 'Never Mind the B******s' but how can you compare that to the above ?

So just in case i wasn't clear, my vote goes to..........The Ramones

enjoilax

neb said:
I've voted for the pistols simply because of the influence they had on the music scene in this country. It may be true that THe Ramones were the original - but their impact here is a little hard to measure.

The 'Pistols songs have more meaning here as well (God Save The Queen, Anarchy in the UK etc.) compared to The KKK Took My Baby Away.
Um...

To give you an idea of the Ramones influence in the UK, the lead singers of the clash, sex pistols, joy division and several other UK punk bands all went to the same Ramones show.

Joe Strummer and Sidd Vicious snuck into the Ramones dressing room to get a chance to meet them.

Tell me thats not influence?

Jackonicko

Retired
Genius versus mediocrity. If you look beyond the hype the Pistols were brilliant - with great tunes (Pretty Vacant, Anarchist and GSTQ) which the Ramones never had.

helixipod

The Ramones were the greatest band ever (with exception to maybe The Clash).
MANY modern bands cite the Ramones as one of their main influences.
They were the most under-rated band ever.
The Sex Pistols were great, but they're no Ramones.

pmad

enjoilax said:

Joe Strummer and Sidd Vicious snuck into the Ramones dressing room to get a chance to meet them.
or to score some smack - one of the two - I can't really remember right now.
~injects~
Aaaahhhhh, that's better.

neb

enjoilax said:
Um...

To give you an idea of the Ramones influence in the UK, the lead singers of the clash, sex pistols, joy division and several other UK punk bands all went to the same Ramones show.

Tell me thats not influence?
I'm talking about the UK music scene as a whole. They're more likely to have grown up listening to the 'Pistols than The Ramones.

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
iMacc said:
Whoever voted ''both are crap'' should be banned from iLounge.....
I didn't know Mods could be banned, oh well, I guess none of us are safe then... ;)

Well, I was tempted to do so at least. I'm not a fan of either, but respect what they've done for the future of music so I just won't vote then..

-Dan

enjoilax

Doug Gilmour said:
I didn't know Mods could be banned, oh well, I guess none of us are safe then... ;)

Well, I was tempted to do so at least. I'm not a fan of either, but respect what they've done for the future of music so I just won't vote then..

-Dan
Ah yes, because Led Zepplin (thank god) gave us Mettalica and 80's hair metal.

THANK THE GOOD LORD.

You need to chill on your anti-punk bias just because you used to be a pop-punker. Honestly sometimes you are more pretentious and biased then pitchfork. I don't mean to be a ####, but chill a bit.

melsmusic

I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If they don't like both then that's OK.

Holding arm over head - I don't like Radiohead. I gave them a go, I didn't get them, but respect others who do like them.

For me I'm not saying Ramones are better/worse then the Sex Pistols.

I just loved the Sex Pistols since I was 15 and the "No Feelings" song had a special memory for me. It makes me laugh everytime I hear it.

We were asked to bring in a song to school that had a message. Well it had a message and a damn good one if you ask me. So I took that to school and shocked the crap out of at least the teacher & most of up stuck up girls. I must add this was an all girls strict Catholic school predominately taught by nuns.

Needless to say I didn't receive my warning via PM :D

iMacc

'' Mr 10 Posts A Day ''
Website
www.last.fm
melsmusic said:
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If they don't like both then that's OK.

Holding arm over head - I don't like Radiohead. I gave them a go, I didn't get them, but respect others who do like them.

There is a difference between not liking a band and saying they are crap though.

I am the same with Radiohead mel, i just don't get the hype. I mean, come on Thom, give us a smile every now and then.....

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
enjoilax said:
Ah yes, because Led Zepplin (thank god) gave us Mettalica and 80's hair metal.

THANK THE GOOD LORD.

You need to chill on your anti-punk bias just because you used to be a pop-punker. Honestly sometimes you are more pretentious and biased then pitchfork. I don't mean to be a ####, but chill a bit.
Easy does it tiger...

Just because I don't particularly like the genre doesn't mean I think it's crap.. I appreciate what it did for the world of music and respect what they did. And before putting down Led Zeppelin, remember that they influenced many successful 1990s acts and the future of guitar..

Now calm down laxy, no need to get all worked up.

-Dan