Selling iPod touch and confused about the s/w update

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

partsmutt

I have a 1st gen iPod touch for which I paid the $10 and got the software update. Is this update tracked with the serial of the unit or with my iTunes account? I want to sell it to a friend of mine, and we're trying to figure whether he's going to have to buy the update himself, or whether it stays with the unit.

Thanks

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
If your friend ever does a full restore on the Touch he'll likely be reverted back to the last 1.x firmware (which I think is 1.1.5?) To prevent that, you need to provide the last firmware update file that you installed on your Touch, and he'll need to put that file in the same relative folder location on his computer.

For Windows, the iPod firmware files are always stored in the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\(windows account name)\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

Look for files with the .ipsw file extension (e.g. "iPod2,1_2.2_5G77a_Restore.ipsw"). Only one is needed (should be the latest date) and assuming that you downloaded version 2.2 it should have the filename I used as an example. Copy that file to the same folder on your friend's PC to ensure that if he restores the Touch it will be re-loaded with the 2.2 release (assuming you are up to date). If we ever get a 2.2.1 or 2.3 release, I think iTunes will allow him to download future updates for free as long as he has a valid 2.x firmware file.

If you and/or your friend have a Mac, then I don't know if or how this file can be transferred.

gwforeman

Podcast Junkie
I am having a problem where if I download any video Podcast it says the format is not supported. I want to do a restore to see if that helps. If I do will it put the updates back on the ipod? I have two files in that folder. I don't want to pay for the update again.

iPod, 1_2.1_5F137_Restore.ipsw
iPod, 1_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw