SD-modded iPod Classic 4G freezing computer

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Gladders

Hiya, can someone help to repair my 4th generation clickwheel iPod?

The hard drive died so I decided to put a 128GB SD card in via a compact flash adapter and a IDE adapter.

But the ipod when plugged in to the computer causes half the computer to freeze.

I say half, because anything already running may still work (Chrome for example) but launching apps after it's been plugged in just doesn't do anything. And iTunes if it's already launched just freezes.

Unplug the iPod and whoosh! All the apps you tried to launch suddenly come alive again.

This was happening to it before I made the mod, but assumed it was the faulty hdd already in it.

This even happens if I keep the iPod plugged in when I boot the computer. If I do that, the computer hangs at the LENOVO splash screen until the iPod is disconnected.

I've tried it on my W10 laptop, my 2014 Mac Mini, hell even a 1999 iBook. All the same.

I've tried formatting the drive both while inside the iPod and also via an SD slot directly. In the iPod trying to, for example, rebuild the MBR makes the computer go super slow and the formatting software gets unstable. MacOS hasn't got a clue what to do with it.

If I'm messing with it through an SD card slot, it shows as completely healthy.

I've tried with a 16 GB card too. No change, so definitely the iPods.

I'd suspect the iPod--> CF adapter, but it seems to be able to handle the SD and I suspect it's the iPod itself being troublesome.

Any help? Thanks!

cjmnews

Staff member
This sounds like there are pins bent in the 30 pin connector on the bottom of the iPod or the cable that is being used is bad.

Try a different cable, see if that fixes the issue.

If not, then the pins in the connector are possibly bent, for example: maybe Pin 25 (USB data -) or Pin 27 (USB data +) and Pin 23 (USB Power +) are touching causing issues with USB and the entire system it is connected to as well. It is possible that the pin for one of more USB data are broken.

I am not much of a hardware geek, but this is the suspicion I get when reading your post.

Gladders

Thanks for your advice. I did find a speck of dirt on the connector, but removing it hasn't made much difference. Every now and then the iPod appears as a removable drive in Windows but you can't view anything in it. And initialising the disk in Minitool partitioner now shows 'bad disk', which is new.

Trying again in Mac Mojave, and trying to format the drive has the system hang on trying to build the partition table.

Have tried a different USB cable and no change.

cjmnews

Staff member
The connector in the bottom of the iPod is probably the issue. You may need to replace it.

Gladders

Hi all, an update.

So I took a chance on a cheapo iPod I found online for £20. The seller was vague on details but I had plans regardless.

The new iPod is a 4G Photo, so close enough, but it is full of dirt, the Hold button is stiff and broken, and the thing simply won't boot.

Turns out the hard drive is still good, though. I transferred that to my B&W 4G - and it works!

Plugged it into iTunes and it comes up with absolutely zero problems.

So I think I can conclude the issue is in fact with my CF to IDE adapter, not the dock connector.

Which is great, as the adapter was about £5 anyway.

I just need to track down a reliable version of the adapter. Thinking about it, perhaps I fried it by accidentally plugging it in upside down when I first got it?

Thanks!