Script to resolve iPod Classic album artwork bug

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bdb

On the B side of life
This solution is buried in this thread and unless someone reads it all the way through they won't know about this, so I thought I'd open a new thread for informational purposes.

As has been discussed in several threads, the iPod Classic has a bug related to album artwork. The symptom is that it crashes very frequently. More information on the symptom in this thread.

I wrote a script based on the code from ilounger freecoder that will identify the songs that can cause these troubles. It has been confirmed that it can identify this issue, and following the procedures on the following webpage resolves them.

Further info here

Note: Windows Only. If someone can come up with a way to do this on Macs, this might be a good place to post it.

Also, please put any comments about the script in this thread - there are a lot of threads about this bug and I won't be checking them all.

If someone else would prefer to host this, please PM me. Its going against my bandwidth quota (but its very, very small!).

Last edited:

oneydee

Didn't work for me

Ran it and it created the playlist as you say but but nothing was found. I certainly can confirm that I have a regularly crashing iPod. There must be something more happening.

oneydee

Script found DIGITAL BOOKLETS (PDF's)

Ran your script a second time and it did find four digital booklets in my library that it placed in the artwork error playlist. I deleted those and re-sync'd but still have all the crashing problems.

DAMN!!! :mad:

bdb

On the B side of life
I don't see why not, as long as Applescript allows you to see if a function fails. Basically for any song with album art, check of the art type (actually it s an "if" statement to check if its JPEG), and if that check results in an error put the song into the error playlist.

Last edited:

S2_Mac

I guess it would look something like this:
Code:
property bad_art_playlist : "SomeArt Error"
tell application "iTunes"
  set sel to selection of front browser window
  if sel is {} then
    display dialog "Please select some tracks first." buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1 with icon 0
    error number -128
  end if

if not (exists user playlist bad_art_playlist) then
    set dest_playlist to make new playlist with properties {name:bad_art_playlist}
  else
    set dest_playlist to (user playlist bad_art_playlist)
  end if

repeat with this_track in sel
    if exists artworks of this_track then
      try
        repeat with this_art in artworks of this_track
          if ((format of this_art) as string) is "boo" then
            -- do nothing
          end if
        end repeat
        -- Maybe only the first art in a track causes the screwup?
        --if ((format of artwork 1 of this_track) as string) is "boo" then
        ---- do nothing
        --end if
      on error
        duplicate this_track to playlist dest_playlist
      end try
    end if
  end repeat
  display dialog "Any tracks with bad art are in the \"SomeArt Error\" playlist." buttons {"Done"} default button 1
end tell
...but it's just a guess...