Script for track number?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

montrose

I have tracks in my library organized into albums, however some of the tracks do not have track numbers in their tags. :(

Is anyone aware of an itunes applescript that will use the tack and album name to retrieve the track number from Gracenote and update the track n of n field in the tag? :confused:

TIA:D

Website
dougscripts.com
We have a script called Albumize that re-numbers the "Track Number _ of _" info entries in every track in the selected iTunes playlist to their current Play Order and, optionally, enters a single new Album Name for every track. Simply make a new playlist with the tracks you want numbered, put them in the order you want and run the script. Albumize Selection does likewise but just for the selected tracks.

montrose

Thanks for the response Doug, I tried the Albumize script, it seems to work ok but I have my tracks on my ipod and the "current play order" is not the album order. Is there a way to illicite the album order from the CDDB using the album and track name?

As an alternative:
The original tracks are stored on CD-Rs with filenames like 01-track1.mp3, etc. Are you aware of a script that will read the xx- and fill the track field in the tag with xx?

Thank You for any help you can provide. My ipod and I appreciate it!

Website
dougscripts.com
montrose,

How are the tracks named on the iPod? Do they have track numbers?

It's not the easiest thing accessing file data on the iPod (the difficulty comes in trying to match the selected track to its corresponding file in the iPod), so a solution that used accessible track data, like track names, would be easier.

montrose

No Doug the tracks do not have numbers on my iPod. I had always assumed the iPod used the track field in the tag for display purposes (and my tracks do not have the track number in the trackname field).

For instance I have a file with the name 01-Icehouse.mp3 and it shows as Icehouse in the Song column in itunes. It does not have a track number tag so therefore it is not the first track played on my ipod when I select the album that includes this filename for play.

I would like to somehow add the track number tag so the tracks play in the correct order when selected and without being forced to manually edit the track tag for each file. The filenames begin with 01-, 02-, 03-, etc for each filename in the album (and represent the correct order) but the track tags do not include the numbers and thus filename 01-Icehouse.mp3 may play after 06-Can't Help Myself.mp3 (because of alpha order I suppose)

I do have some albums with track number tags i.e. 1 of 10, 2 of 10, etc and they play in the correct order.

Thanks for your reply

Website
dougscripts.com
Here's what I would do:

Mount the iPod and browse the iPod Library by Album.

Select the tracks of an Album, then double-click the blue iPod playlist name in the Source column -- careful not to click the actual name or you will enable it for editing; double-click on its left side -- this will open the selected tracks in a new window in a moment.

Organize the tracks into the correct order -- you will have to sort by play order, the furthest-left column -- and then run "Albumize". Optionally, control-click anywhere in the window for the contextual menu and select "Copy to play order".

When all is OK, close the window; repeat for each album.

This worked for me.