Scratch report

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dnphillips

I have had my 5thG 60gb white IPOD for exactly one week today. I have not dropped it once. I keep it inside the case that came in the box. It has not rubbed against anything.

But somehow, there have appeared a handful of fine scratches on the screen part of the face. WTF???? How does this happen? Is it the case they give you? Does this get worse? Is there anything I should do now to protect myself from having a fully scratched screen three weeks from now?

ARGH

austing

Yeh that happen to me too. i;m guessing a particle or little peice of something got in there and when you put it in the case it rubbed on the screen? i have a big scratch on the lower left hand screen like
1/4 inch long but its a weird scratch where its thick and it has liek little rivets in there so you can see it well. i'm going to try saran wrap to protect it until my martin fields protector gets here.

dnphillips

I guess what I mean is... Should I return it now, exchange it for a new one and then saran wrap it from the start?

saltwater

Yep. They are being pretty lenient. I had my engraved as well, but they took it back with a free shipping label, and are mailing me another one overnight Fed Ex (after a week of preparing the shipment anyway).

I'm second-guessing whether I want one though..... why be THIS freakish about something?? I'd rather wait until they get their act together, but I was so anxiously awaiting my iPod purchase this holiday season....

anyway, yeah, return it. You've got time before the cases come anyway.

Tatsu

hmm I dunno, if its just fine scratches then I think some brasso should be able to get it off lol it beats waiting another week!

dnphillips

Does saran wrap work?

Does saran wrap work? How do I use it? More than one layer?

MarkY1

Saran wrap will give you a bit of scratch protection. The more use use, the more protection you'll have. It's better than nothing.

ClayRock

dnphillips said:
I guess what I mean is... Should I return it now, exchange it for a new one and then saran wrap it from the start?
Don't take the protective cover off when you get your new one. This will protect it until you're able to purchase a case. Mine is scratch free.

Bonk

So if you return it because it has scratches, do you have to pay the restocking fee?

Razorwing

"Ok to disconnect"
ClayRock said:
Don't take the protective cover off when you get your new one. This will protect it until you're able to purchase a case. Mine is scratch free.
thats what I'm thinking about aswell

dnphillips

that's what i've done. i exchanged it this morning and will keep that front piece on it. But now i can't really get it into that cheap pleather case that comes with it. Regardless, i'll use that for now. just wondering what the deal was with saran wrap.

no restocking fee...

xboxman

Expelliarmus!
Anyone know if the iPod "socks" will be a good temporary case until a proper case comes out?

Just waiting for a contour case now...or maybe an iSkin, they were always great..though bulky.

DynamiteKid

Wait, so if instead of a slightly scratched ipod, you'd rather have one wrapped up in saran wrap?

joits

yeah i got a few minute, fine scratches that aren't really visible unless you really look hard. doesn't bother me though. i'm eventually gonna get a case so no one is going to see them.

for those people returning it, if you had a black one, i'd advise getting the white one, that way you won't notice the really really tiny fine scratches.

i guess the only way not to get ANY scratches on it is to not take it out of the box!

matthewstevons

Website
www.livejournal.com
Hi! I felt compelled to say that protective, thin plastic shields go a long way in protecting your iPods, any generation. Because martin fields was being a bit slow about stocking up on 5th gen shields, I went to walmart and bought a PSP plastic shield and cut it to iPod screen size. I applied it 10 seconds after getting my iPod out of the box. Not a scratch on the screen! Can't say the same thing about the body, but it's not too bad so I should be able to use iCleaner and rub out almost all of those before I put the martin fields plastic film on it (which covers the entire face).

Anyway, no saran wrap! Get a plastic film shield thingie and you'll never have to worry about scratches again, which brings me to MY question to ponder: why doesn't Apple just make their own removable film and pre-apply it to new iPods, with replacement films available from the Apple website? It seems like such a cheap, effective fix to all of the Nano/5G scratch complaints and would make them money in the process.

Happy Halloween!

---Matthew

vrity

Has anyone bought a specific case or done something since they bought their iPod and never saw scratches so far? I'm scared of buying mine and seeing scratches that same day. I want to hear from people that haven't seen scratches or have seen very little to see what I can do to prevent scratches. Also, has anyone tried Brasso to see if it really works?

killertofu

saltwater said:
Yep. They are being pretty lenient. I had my engraved as well, but they took it back with a free shipping label, and are mailing me another one overnight Fed Ex (after a week of preparing the shipment anyway).

I'm second-guessing whether I want one though..... why be THIS freakish about something?? I'd rather wait until they get their act together, but I was so anxiously awaiting my iPod purchase this holiday season....

anyway, yeah, return it. You've got time before the cases come anyway.
Did you buy it from Apple? How is the exchanging gonna work? Are they gonna send you a new one with a return box?