Scosche FM Transmitter cutting out randomly, please help =(

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Mongrel

So I just bought a used car, and the seller just gave me his FM transmitter along with the purchase. I plugged my phone into the AUX cord and could get it to work with no issues. I transferred it into another car for a road trip, and it worked with no issues. Then I transferred it back into the original car, and now for some reason every 20-40 seconds or so it will just cut out. As in, the radio will play static from the nonexistent station instead of music from my phone. Now, if I turn the device off and on again, it will work fine for another 20-40 seconds before cutting out again. Also of note: the device itself isn't turning off when this happens; there's no flicker of power or anything, the only indication that there's anything wrong is that the radio now only plays static.

Does anyone know what the issue might be or, more importantly, how to fix it? It's worth it to mention that I had to put it in a bag with some other stuff at one point, and that bag may have been dropped once, so the device itself could conceivably have been damaged...I checked it for such damage, and found that one of the "prongs" in the part that plugs into the cigarette lighter was loose (not sure if it was like that before or not since it was a used device). I managed to push it back in, but the problems still remain. I didn't see any other obvious damage, though I haven't opened it up or anything.

cjmnews

Staff member
That would be difficult to diagnose over the internet.

The unit could be damaged, or the antenna for your car stereo is loose are my two suspicions. You could consider getting a new one. I see a couple models at Walmart for $13-$16. If the new one fails to transmit all the time I think the antenna cable on the back of the stereo is loose and needs to be reinserted. If the new one works, then you know the old one went bad.

Personally I am not a fan of FM transmitters, I prefer a wired connection using the stereo's auxiliary or USB connections.