Running with 5.5G off

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

L33tG4m3r

iPod, therefore I am
Hi, I was wondering whether the 5.5G iPod's hard drive could be damaged while running around with it in my pocket. The iPod isn't on while it's in my pocket/while i'm running around, but is it possible that the HDD can get damaged when the iPod is off? I'm really worried because I go to high school and I run around a lot (away from people, at people, etc.), and I was wondering if the powered-down iPod's read/write head is still on the platter while its off. Can someone please help me?

Thanks in advance
L33tG4m3r

JazzyMac

Jazzy Smooth
You should be fine. The skipping problems the earlier versions of the ipod had the skipping problems, but these newer ones, most definitely not. I use my ipod in my car and it's always bouncing around.

Website
www.ilounge.com
No, it's extremely unlikely that running with the iPod off is going to cause any hard drive damage, because it's not actually moving.

You still want to be careful about extreme shocks such as drops or tossing it around, but merely running is extremely unlikely to cause any problems.

Website
www.ilounge.com
You're not likely to have any problems with a hard-drive based iPod when it's off unless you're actually throwing it around like a baseball.

Running, jumping, or even aerobic workouts aren't likely to have any negative impact on the iPod when it's off.

On the other hand, when it's on and the hard drive is spinning (which it isn't always doing -- it only spins up to reload the buffer at semi-regular intervals), then you would definitely want to avoid activities that result in "jarring" motions, such as jumping, aerobic exercise, or even jogging. This is why flash-based devices like the nano are better-suited for active lifestyles.

That having been said, activities like walking and cycling are unlikely to cause any issues even when you're using the iPod. It's not the motion that bothers a hard-drive based device, but rather sudden and rapid 'jarring' motions that are more likely to cause problems.