Rubber feet for back of iPod?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Joshdude

One cool dude, indeed.
I recently decided that, as awesome as the iSkin eVo was, it made my iPod too thick for me. I wanted the sleek and slim iPod, not the protected but slightly bulkier iPod. Anyway, what I want are 4 small rubber feet that I can stick on the back of my iPod so that they touch whatever surface the iPod is sitting on. These were present on the iSkin eVo, but I want seperate ones. I know there are rubber feet available at hardware stores and such, but those are the big round kind. I want mine to be small and unobtrusive. Has anyone seen or used such a product? If so, please tell me where you saw them or bought them. Alternatively, if you can think of another solution, please let me know. Thanks!

cold aspiration

you could get one of those sticker sets for furniture. you know the thing where you stick a soft thing that is soft on one side and sticky on the other to a chair leg so it won't make that nasty scraping noise on hardwood floors. I've seen some of those really really tiny. like . a little smaller than a fingernail.

I wouldn't do it though. its just a suggestion. Got to keep mine aesthetically pleasing

shaz

Having fun
With our kitchen furnishing there came some small clear rubber feet that was for attatching them to the cabinet doors, so they wouldn't make noise being shut.. Check out a shop that sells kitchen cabinets :) (or most furniture shops)

Joshdude

One cool dude, indeed.
Yeah I know what you're talking about. I even have those on my cabinet doors. Those are kind of big, though. I'm looking for really small. Like the size of a head of a pin (the kind with the plastic ball thing on the head). Maybe I'll find something like that at a hardware store. They might have that.

Cerb

The Bassist
cold aspiration said:
you could get one of those sticker sets for furniture. you know the thing where you stick a soft thing that is soft on one side and sticky on the other to a chair leg so it won't make that nasty scraping noise on hardwood floors. I've seen some of those really really tiny. like . a little smaller than a fingernail.

I wouldn't do it though. its just a suggestion. Got to keep mine aesthetically pleasing
Those soft things that is soft eh? :p

Madkins007

A few suggestions:

1. Find the smallest feet you can at the hardware store (the type with the silicone material between each individual foot) and use them for something else. Cut your own feet out of the connecting material. If you have a small leather punch or something similar it should work quite nicely.

2. Make a foot with a small dab of either silicone caulk/adhesive or hot glue. If you mess it up just let it dry and peel it off. With a bit of practice (like on some wax paper), you can get pretty good at making small, evenly sized dollops- especially if you can find one of those nozzles for the glue that lets you make a very small bead.

3. Microfoam tape. This is a first-aid tape that is a thin, stretchy foam. It is white, and the surface of the tape is slightly sticky. You'd get years worth of feet from one small roll. many drugstores carry this or a similar product in either the bandage aisle or the sports medicine area.

4. Other tapes. This is hit or miss, but consider... foam mounting tape with the other sticky side removed; electrical 'friction' tape; electrical silicone 'fusing' tape; other first-aid tapes; etc., etc., etc.

Joshdude

One cool dude, indeed.
Those all sound pretty good. I especially like the 1st suggestion; that's probably what I'll try. Since I will be taking it out and putting in of the Apple case, they need to really stay on. I'm thinking I'll find some really small, clear silicone feet, or use the connecting material, and get the adhesive off with a chemical or something. Then I can use rubber cement to stick it on my iPod. I can always use a needlenose pliers to yank 'em off if I need to.

Madkins007

Joshdude- in general, the adhesive on the silicone wil be strong enough. Your problem will be in the fact that you will not have a lot of area to adhere. Contact cement is stronger over large areas than it is over small, and the small 'bead feet' yoiu are thinking of might not offer enough contact surface.

I'd use the original adhesive at least at first. If it does not last long enough for your needs, I'd try a tiny drop of Superglue.

You'll also generally get a better adherence (and less slippage) if you used a design with a larger 'footprint'- larger ovals, triangles with rounded corners, etc.

NEW IDEA:
Go to Radio Shack and get a pack of eGrips in the off-white. These are great and should hold up wonderfully for you- one $9.95 pack will provide enough for the iPod and a lot of other devices.

(www.egrips.com, I think)

Joshdude

One cool dude, indeed.
Those seem more like ther reduce slipping rather than elevating the iPod. However I'll look into them. I'm also want them to sort of taper down flush to the iPod, if that makes any sense. Like I don't want there to be a sharp edge, I guess.
____ ____
__i i__Bad __/ \__Good
Sorry this is the only way I can illustrate it. Although the "good" option should be much more curved and the slope less extreme. If it helps, think of the bumps that the iSkin eVo has on its belt clip disc thing. Anyway I'm going to the hardware store tonight, I think. I'll see what I can find.

Stupid formatting makes the above illustration look like crap.

Last edited:

dwchin

Have you tried looking at a arts & crafts or fabric store? AC Moore or Ragshop have loads of different materials you can use as possible rubber feet type things, and they're bound to come in relatively small sizes, as well, as a lot of crafts require small things. You might also consider some of those small felt feet. I've seen them come really small, or if worse comes to worse, you can cut them down to whatever size you own. I've also seen someone who lost the rubber feet of his TI calc replace his with something he got from a craft store.

mdobilas

Reductio Ad Absurdum
Website
lifescan.com
Have you thought of just putting four dabs of clear silcon adhesive on the corners? Comes in a tube and you can make them as small or as large as you want.

shidobu

mdobilas said:
Have you thought of just putting four dabs of clear silcon adhesive on the corners? Comes in a tube and you can make them as small or as large as you want.
it would be difficult to make them a uniform size, so the ipod would wobble, which, it seems to me, would be pretty undesirable.

Joshdude

One cool dude, indeed.
Ok I bought some vinyl pads and I cut out the material in between using a hole-puncher. I have to wait a while for the glue to stick, though.