ripping quality questions

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jhpope

Website
jhpope.blogspot.com
So back in the day I ripped all my cd's at 128kbps CBR, mostly to save space and because I didn't know the difference. Now that I have a roomy 60GB 5G iPod and nice Etymotic ER-6i earbuds, I want to re-rip my collection to 192kbps VBR. For the albums that I have actual retail copies of I won't have problems.

However, if I burnt a cd with 128kbps CBR, would I gain anything from re-ripping it to 192kbps VBR?

What program should I use to rip my CDs. I've tried CDex and it went horribly slow and the output had skips in it. I'm not sure if I did something wrong.

Right now I have my iTunes set at 192kbps VBR High Quality, is this a good option?

I guess for music I downloaded back in the day and downgraded to 128kbps CBR I'm out of luck. Unless I want to find higher quality music and re-download it.

frogger

jhpope said:
So back in the day I ripped all my cd's at 128kbps CBR, mostly to save space and because I didn't know the difference. Now that I have a roomy 60GB 5G iPod and nice Etymotic ER-6i earbuds, I want to re-rip my collection to 192kbps VBR. For the albums that I have actual retail copies of I won't have problems.

However, if I burnt a cd with 128kbps CBR, would I gain anything from re-ripping it to 192kbps VBR?

You shouldn't bother. The rip is only as good as the source. You won't get any better quality, and by going through another conversion, you may lose quality.

What program should I use to rip my CDs. I've tried CDex and it went horribly slow and the output had skips in it. I'm not sure if I did something wrong.

Right now I have my iTunes set at 192kbps VBR High Quality, is this a good option?
I use MusicMatch Jukebox and rip to 192 mp3s. Use iTunes if you want AAC files. The mp3 encoder in iTunes is not particulary good. Personally, I like the compatability of mp3 files.

I guess for music I downloaded back in the day and downgraded to 128kbps CBR I'm out of luck. Unless I want to find higher quality music and re-download it.
For the most part you are right. Check your public library though. You may be able to find the CDs there and then rip them to 192.

Good luck. I just went through this process and it took me over 2 months to re-rip my entire collection and rebuild all my playlists. I just finished last night and backed up my entire music library. I'm very glad to be done.

frogger

jhpope said:
thanks for the advice. i've had problems w/ musicmatch before and just don't like it. is there another stand alone mp3 ripper that you can suggest?

thanks
That's the only one I've personally used. I've heard good things about WinAmp though. You may want to try that.

jhpope

Website
jhpope.blogspot.com
my friend uses exactcd

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

he uses it to rip to wav then convert to mp3...do i gain anything by doing this or will it be the same if i go from retail cd straight to 192

i used my local public library for some jazz cds...i'm in philadelphia now so they prob have an even bigger collection. i'll def check that out. i guess when it comes down to it, the only time you'll really want the higher kbps is w/ jazz or classical

frogger

jhpope said:
my friend uses exactcd

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

he uses it to rip to wav then convert to mp3...do i gain anything by doing this or will it be the same if i go from retail cd straight to 192

i used my local public library for some jazz cds...i'm in philadelphia now so they prob have an even bigger collection. i'll def check that out. i guess when it comes down to it, the only time you'll really want the higher kbps is w/ jazz or classical
Normally, each time you convert, you lose a bit of quality so I would try to find something that goes straight to mp3

Derek McNelly

Website
www.myspace.com
iTunes MP3 encoder is definitely not the best I've ever used, and I hate to give credit to Creative, but their Creative Media Source software is horrid, but as far as MP3 encoding goes, it has one of the better encoders I've used, but as anyone on the board will tell you, LAME is the way to go.

bdb

On the B side of life
Yep, LAME is your best choice; use the -standard preset to stay around 192kbps.

The front-end doesn't really have to be EAC (though EAC is very good for ripping scratched-up CDs). Audiograbber is another good program that uses LAME. I usually just use EAC for everything. Musicmatch is much, much faster than EAC, but the Fraunhofer encoder isn't as good as LAME at bitrates above 128kbps.