ripping a cd onto a diskless netbook

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Newmarket2

I've got a new netbook (XP) with no CD drive. I also have another laptop (vista) with a drive. I have loaded software by making the drive sharable and running it from the netbook, but I can't seem to import that way.

I have a copy of iTunes on the Vista machine, but the netbook is my primary machine right now....so, I either have to rip from the drive of the Vista machine to iTunes on the netbook; OR rip from the drive to the iTunes on the Vista and then get that material over to the netbook.

Which should I do - and what are the steps to do it?

Cold Irons

I don't think you have any choice - I don't think iTunes can see/use a shared drive to rip (...and I could easily be wrong). I think you're gonna have to rip on the Vista machine, then copy the resulting mp3/acc files over to the netbook & put into iTunes.

kornchild2002

I guess I don't see what the big deal is. You can rip the CD with the notebook that has the drive and then copy the files over to your netbook. You can purchase a $7 1GB USB thumb drive to transfer the files over. You could even set iTunes Sharing up so that the files on your notebook can be copied to the netbook over a wired or wireless network.

Either that or just spend the $60 and get a USB 2.0 DVD+-R/RW DL drive for your netbook.

Newmarket2

no, no big deal

Not a big deal, no.... I did learn that iTunes can only import files from the disc drive it's linked to. My netbook as 2 partitions and I couldn't import files from the C drive because my iTunes folder was on the D. As soon as I moved it, it was fine. So, I'm in business and I learned something.